Is my HDD dying or my whole laptop

Dec 1, 2018
Hi, my laptop recently started freezing, I was getting blue screen, wouldn't even boot at some point. I did a reset but kept my files and it finally booted successfully. But for about 3-4 days now, it freezes when I try to do even the smallest tasks, I had to delete chrome and install Opera because it was lighter. I'm thinking that the problem is caused by my Hard drive(5 years old). It passes the SMART test on most of the diagnostic tools I've ran, but it hard fails to do short tests. I have already performed antivirus and antimalware scans, both found problems but I deleted them all. When I'm browsing Opera both Disk and CPU are on 100%. The only game I played on this laptop is League of Legends and I never had a problem with it for 5 years now. Should I just replace my HDD or could there be other problems as well? Can Hdd failure cause 100% cpu usage on simple tasks?

Dec 1, 2018
Also I have to mention that I've only changed the Cpu's thermal paste once(about 3 years ago). After I did the reset I began to hear a loud click noise, that is still happening once every hour or so. My laptop had no problems at all before the boot problem appeared.