Is my laptop compatible with eGPU? PCIe half mini card slot

Solrac Oreca

Estimable
Jun 13, 2014
My Dell 7447 laptop uses the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 as the network card. It uses the "PCIe half mini card" slot when I was expecting it would have the mini PCIe slot for the network card like most laptops have.

The eGPU adapter EXP GDC V8, uses the mini PCIe slot most laptops use for their network card. I'm wondering if my laptop is compatible? Much thanks!

Solution
Most laptops are compatible with eGPUs, so long as they have a PCIe mini slot, which your laptop has

Now the problem is which CPU you have and which GPU, because eGPUs are known to be impractical given the cost and the fact that you need an external monitor to run the eGPU if you don't have specific graphics than can run off the laptop screen

SENOR BURTOS

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017
Most laptops are compatible with eGPUs, so long as they have a PCIe mini slot, which your laptop has

Now the problem is which CPU you have and which GPU, because eGPUs are known to be impractical given the cost and the fact that you need an external monitor to run the eGPU if you don't have specific graphics than can run off the laptop screen

Solution

Solrac Oreca

Estimable
Jun 13, 2014

Hello, I've been busy I apologize if I didn't follow this up soon. I'm about to try this experiment now with my Windows 10 i7-4710HQ laptop with dedicated GTX 850m. Unfortunately that GPU has been such a bother with Dell's throttling. It can games at medium high with stable 60fps but once it reaches 70c ( even around 65c) it throttles for a few seconds and when I mean throttle its the buggy kind. It goes down from say 50fps to 9fps for a few seconds. The drop is so buggy that you cannot control anything until it goes back up.

With this dock, I'm hoping it eliminates my gaming problem for now. Going to match it with a GTX 970 using the NGFF port my wifi card uses. I went for the 900 series because the 10xx series are known to cause issues with the dock being patched from being used by nvidia. I'm going to use an external 1080p monitor but I'd much rather like to try to use the internal laptop screen at the same time too if that's ever possible. I'm worrying also about the fact that product details of the dock itself doesn't show Windows 10 compatibility yet I've watched people on Youtube to be using the dock no problems with Windows 10. This may be a hit or miss experiment but if you can see any problem from my planned setup please let me know.

GTMoraes

Estimable
Mar 29, 2015

Have you tried ThrottleStop to stop the throttling? Maybe you only need to disable the BD PROCHOT flag (which throttles the CPU when a certain temperature from other component, such as the GPU, has been reached). My friends Dell was doing the same thing, and this fixed it.

------------

I feel stupid. The answer said it was posted "three minutes ago", so I logged in to reply.
Sorry for the necro.