Solved! Is my Laptop sound card fried?

Jun 18, 2018
First of all, here's my spec
Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro
CPU i5-8250U
8GB of Ram
MX150

So, yesterday, since one of my laptop fans was not working well, I opened the laptop to check it. Being stupid, I thought it would be fine to plug the right fan into the left fan power connector to check if it was power problem. I went on and did it but the fan never ran. Anyway, I put back everything in order afterwards and everything seemed to be fine. I didn't notice the sound problem.

Today, when I used the laptop I noticed that windows did not detect any sound device. I tried everything from reinstalling the driver from supplier to manually installing legacy driver. Nothing worked. I also booted into ubuntu with a live usb and it showed "dummy output" in volume control so I guess it also didn't detect any sound device.

My question is, could it be because i plugged the right fan to the left fan power connector? Or could it be the static charge? Or could it be a software/driver issue?
And also, is there any chance I could restore this?

Thank you for your time.

Solution
The answer is yes to all of your questions except the driver since you had the same issue on a totally different operating system. The system has two fans in it? Or was it just a extra connection you plugged into? You may end up having to replace the motherboard to get audio back.

Not sure why you opened the system yourself when it should be in warranty, you may not be able to get this thing repaired in warranty now if they see that you opened it yourself.

The answer is yes to all of your questions except the driver since you had the same issue on a totally different operating system. The system has two fans in it? Or was it just a extra connection you plugged into? You may end up having to replace the motherboard to get audio back.

Not sure why you opened the system yourself when it should be in warranty, you may not be able to get this thing repaired in warranty now if they see that you opened it yourself.

Solution
Jun 18, 2018

That's too bad then. :( Yes, it has two fans. I just plugged the right fan to the left fan connector.
As for the warranty, I bought it from a re-seller so there's no official warranty to begin with. I guess I will just use a set of bluetooth headset. Thank god other components were not fried.

Thank you for your answer, hang-the-9. ^^