Is Realtek ALC892 motherboard soundcard enough

Mir0zz

Prominent
Jun 10, 2017
I'm looking to buy dt990 pro headphones and wondered if my motherboards soundcard or ports can give enough power for it?

Solution
So youre not bothered about a mic ??

I don't know if you can order from amazon.de ??

https://www.amazon.de/AKG-2015-M220-Pro-Professional-Großmembran-Studio-Kopfhörer/dp/B0155DGHUI/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅZÕÑ&qid=1528020731&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=akg+m220&dpPl=1&dpID=41z346DPkuL&ref=plSrch

I'll throw those m220's at you .

Predty much the only glaring thing is they only come in white, if this isn't an issue there is nothing better audio quality or build quality wise for that kind of money.

Removeable earcups , 2 sets in the box , 1 foam , q leather , Removeable cable (2 in the box again)
Auto adjusting headband, all things that normally cost a lot more money.
People would still recommend an amp, but...
Audio chipset isn't really an issue.

What the board is capable of outputting impedance wise through its 3.5mm jack is.

250ohm phones?? Unless you're board specifically has audio amplification built in then you are honestly going to get woeful quality without an external amp.

So the question is , what motherboard actually is it ??

Mir0zz

Prominent
Jun 10, 2017

It's msi b350 tomahawk

A cheap audio adapter ?? No, likely worse than the onboard audio.

Cant find real specs on the tomahawk audio output limits.
p
Appears to have some kind of amplification/enhancement curcuitry built in but no idea how good it is.

I have no doubt it'll power the 990s, just not sure how well.

They may still sound good, I doubt you will get the absolute best out of them though either volume or quality wise.

Are they on offer or something ?? Because there at many many 32ohm phones that will sound as good or maybe even better when using a standard motherboard output.

Not because they are actually better phones but simply because they are easier to drive than the beyer.

Mir0zz

Prominent
Jun 10, 2017

I want beyerdynamic DT headphones because i've heard they are very comfortable and the ones that are 32 ohms are closed and I don't like closed headphones, thats why I was interested in these. I'm not an audiophile, so I can manage even if i'm not getting the best out of them.

There's no doubt they are very very good phones.

Is still ask though how much are they , what's your budget & what country are you in ??.

I may be able,to recommend a few,other sets worth looking at that are worthwhile.

I also absolutely agree with you , far bigger fan of open backs myself.

Are these,for,music , gaming,or a good mix of,everything?

ElectrO_90

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
Well what you need to understand is how basic amps work. I will give you some numbers to keep it simple.

Amp gives of 10 watts @ 32 ohms
Amp gives of 20 watts @ 16 ohms
Amp gives of 40 watts @ 8 ohms

The lower the ohm the more watts are given out.

So in the theory of your headphones being 250 ohms we work backwards

Amp gives of 5 watts @ 62 ohms
Amp gives of 2.5 watts @ 124 ohms
Amp gives of 1.25 watts @ 250 ohms

So as you can see, the power out of the internal amp would be reduced by a lot.

Please note - these figures are not true of motherboards, but are true in general terms of how amps work.

Mir0zz

Prominent
Jun 10, 2017

They are mostly for a good mix of everything, more for gaming. I live in Finland and they are 130€ or 140€. I'm not very hyped to buy a headset, though I have looked at the steelseries arctic series headsets.

So youre not bothered about a mic ??

I don't know if you can order from amazon.de ??

https://www.amazon.de/AKG-2015-M220-Pro-Professional-Großmembran-Studio-Kopfhörer/dp/B0155DGHUI/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅZÕÑ&qid=1528020731&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=akg+m220&dpPl=1&dpID=41z346DPkuL&ref=plSrch

I'll throw those m220's at you .

Predty much the only glaring thing is they only come in white, if this isn't an issue there is nothing better audio quality or build quality wise for that kind of money.

Removeable earcups , 2 sets in the box , 1 foam , q leather , Removeable cable (2 in the box again)
Auto adjusting headband, all things that normally cost a lot more money.
People would still recommend an amp, but theyre 50ohm & fairly easy to drive without one.

I think they'll pair far far better with your board output than the beyers.

Solution

Mir0zz

Prominent
Jun 10, 2017

Ok thanks a lot, I will check those out! I also made another thread regarding the modmic v4 and if they will work without a proper sound card. If you have time to help with that too I would really appreciate that.

Mir0zz

Prominent
Jun 10, 2017

Ok, I just saw some people saying in other forums that they had problems but I can always return it if it turns out not to work. Thanks for all the help!

aajoe

Official Representative
Official Representative
Sep 2, 2017

Hello! Short version is you probably DO want a USB, but you can also try a software solution we found first: https://antlionaudio.com/blogs/news/removing-background-noise-with-equalizer-apo-and-reapers-reafir

Worst case is you can always pick up the USB later! Let me know directly if you have any additional questions!