Is the Amplifier broken??

Mozzy

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
hi, I have quite a issue, even though it is not directly computer related, I guess this forum could help me.

I was on a party a couple of days ago, I had been drinking, however as I was walking towards the couch, I tripped and my beverage (a mix of vodka and fanta exotic) flew out of my hand and right on top of my buddys amplifier, of course it had to have plenty of little cooling holes on the top, so the liquid hit the circuitboard.

It went BANG and the music was gone. we quickly ripped out the power andwent to dry it, yet it haven't been tested yet. So I am wondering, considering it's a 500$amplifier (JAMO avr 693), could the bang we heard be a fuse or something similair which is a quick-fix? Because as a student, without a job, I am not really interested in buying him a new one.

So if anyone have a solution or help, please reply, it would be highly appreciated :)

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
You need to have a look inside and see if you can identify any damage and also to check the fuses.
Note that fuses normally dont go bang and there is almost certainly going to be damage.Since it did go bang first place to check would be power supply and output transistors.
Before you try powering it up you should get some isopropyl alcohol and thoroughly clean the circuit board and all internal components.

Mozzy

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
thank you for your answer makkem, bang was maybe a little exaggurated, it was more like a flashy loud spark-pop. If that explains a little better, and worst case scenario something like a compasitor or something is broken, woul I with the basic electric knowledge be able to get parts and fix it?

makkem

Distinguished
If it is a power supply capacitor then it would be feasible to replace it but if it has caused damage to the main circuit board it would have to be repaired professionally.
Since it made a noise when it happened it may well be possible to see where the damage has occurred.
Be warned that the large smoothing capacitors in high end amps are pretty expensive though it would be feasible to replace them with cheaper ones.