anathema12345

Honorable
Dec 11, 2014
Hi there. Ive got this Yamaha 315 powered subwoofer and am trying to hook it up to Yamaha V385 A/V receiver. Yamaha user manual where it explains how to connect subwoofer to receiver reads as follows: "Some amplifiers have line output terminals labeled PRE OUT. When you connect the subwoofer to the PRE OUT terminals of the amplifier, make sure that the amplifier has at least two sets of PRE OUT terminals. If the amplifier has only one set of PRE OUT terminals, do not connect the subwoofer to the PRE OUT terminals. Instead, connect the subwoofer to the speaker output terminals of the amplifier." Considering the fact that my receiver has only ONE pre out subwoofer terminal should I follow what Yamaha says? If so, would I be able to get the best out of subwoofer? if that is the case, why is the pre out subwoofer terminal out there? That doesnt make sense!

Here are the links:

Yamaha 315 Subwoofer
Yamaha V385 A/V Receiver

Thanks in advance for your help!

Solution
You have a subwoofer output so you would connect that to the top RCA input on the sub labeled mono.
Page 9 of the owners manual shows that. Turn the high cut control all the way up and the volume 1/2 the rotation.
You then have to set up the receiver for the sub. The sub output is not usually on by default.
Check the manual on how to do that.

anathema12345

Honorable
Dec 11, 2014
I suggest contacting Yamaha support and asking them why they state the amp should have two pre out ports. There should not be any difference how you connect it, and yes following manufacturer instructions is generally a good way to keep things from breaking and working properly.

Thanks for the reply. I`ll get in touch with Yamaha support team.

You have a subwoofer output so you would connect that to the top RCA input on the sub labeled mono.
Page 9 of the owners manual shows that. Turn the high cut control all the way up and the volume 1/2 the rotation.
You then have to set up the receiver for the sub. The sub output is not usually on by default.

Reactions: anathema12345
Solution

anathema12345

Honorable
Dec 11, 2014

Thanks a lot for your help. I’ll give it shot.