Is the E-Reader Dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
when you think about it, ereader sales slowing down as people keep them, switch to tablets with kindle or ecaliber software on them would likely be the answer, the real baseline is, are they selling just as many ebooks ?

matthew.maurer

Prominent
Sep 12, 2017
I think and hope there will continue to be a place for e-readers. Reading on a tablet or smart phone downright sucks. The glossy screens and glare are not conducive for long-time reading and can be a strain on the eyes. Much prefer my kindle.

michael.tuffli

Prominent
Dec 22, 2017
More power to you if you can read e-books w/ backlit screens w/o straining the crap out of your eyes, but I sure can't.

/still keeps an e-reader around

Feb 21, 2018
There was always going to be a surge in the technology during the initial uptake. This has probably plateaued since people have become increasingly tech aware and the prevalence of cross-device reading apps has shifted the focus away from e-readers being the standard. Even so, the e-reader presents fewer distractions and allows you to focus on reading rather than being led astray by emails or social media.

manofcity1

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
You can buy Nook reader,not nook tablet,on Ebay ,for less than $100.00 all depends what it comes with,some sellers just want to get rid of them,you would be amaze how little they cost on Ebay,heck even Samsung Nook tablet is going for only $50 to $100.

USAFRet

Illustrious
You'll have to pry my Kindle paperwhite out of my cold dead hands.

Reading on a tablet or laptop is a far, far worse experience.

Sales might be "in decline", because they're pretty robust, and don't need replacing that much.
My paperwhite does exactly what it needs to do, no 'upgrade' needed.
And I use it every single day, 1/2/3 books a week.

It will only get replaced if it actually breaks.

nduke

Honorable
Sep 8, 2017
E-readers aren't dead! I use mine every day and I have passed my old ones on, converting others to the platform. I like the e-ink page to read. I get a headache trying to read on my PC, tablet or phone for long periods and there are too many opportunities for distraction. E-readers are mostly a single use item and as such they don't wear out or require upgrades as often as a tablet or phone would. I just replaced a battery in my 2013 purchased Paperwhite and another in the one I bought for a friend in 2012. E-readers don't become obsolete like so many electronics because if they turn a page fast enough to read, they're fast enough. No upgrade needed. Believe me, if there wasn't enough profit in e-books, the e-readers would be built for obsolescence, the price would be lower and their sales would be up. I look at it as one less thing to send to the landfill.

Edit: And I have to say that anyone who believes that e-readers are dead simply because device sales are down, must never have used one. I know some people who jumped on the e-book bandwagon late. They seem to feel that reading on their tablet is just fine. But for someone who likes reading and does so frequently, there is nothing to compare with a real e-reader.

Sedivy

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
While I'm on kobo and not an e-ink one, I still find dedicated e-reader too good to replace. Laptops and tablets are generally too big, unless a mini-tablet which is...pointlessly expensive in comparison to most e-readers. Phones are too small. E-readers are just right and configured for reading (lighting, specs, settings) which would be annoying to switch on a phone or laptop every time you wanted to do something else.

Feb 21, 2018
My first time .. using an ereader was the 3rd Gen
Kindle Keyboard. I gave it to a family member as I gradually accumulated numerous Fires along with a Samsung Tab.
Then the Goldilocks of Kindles came along..the Paperwhite.
I'm not distracted with email or tempted to view YouTube.
I keep the brightness bar at the halfway point , so no eye strain.
It's true, though..they are made to last a long time, require very little maintenance and are simple to use.
Not a product many will replace yearly.

Feb 21, 2018
I recently purchased a Kobo Aura One. My original Nook (version 1) still functions and is a handy device. However, like all technology, it grows old. The page turns drag and the resolution is good, but not great. In addition, the size and weight of my Kobo Aura One is a fraction of the Nook.

I can keep thousands of books on my device.

I do not like reading on a tablet and smartphone due to the strain. There are some blue light applications that improve the reading experience, but nothing beats my Kobo.

Feb 21, 2018
I really hope my beloved Paperwhite doesn't go the way of the Betamax. Tablets and smartphones make for painful reading in the great outdoors on a sunny day. Even higher-end devices with improved brightness (like my new iPad Pro) with brighter screens and anti-reflective coating are no substitute, especially with the battery drain with a screen on max brightness. OTOH, my Paperwhite is perfectly clear in the great, brightly lit, outdoors on a summer day AND there is no need to recharge for weeks!

As for the reasons reading is declining - I'll bet it's not just social media or the (bad) news responsible for fewer readers, but the ability to stream pretty much whatever you want when you want without commercials. I'll be honest. I now stream and binge movies and TV more often than I read, for better or worse. And often when I do "read," it's via audiobooks.

Feb 21, 2018
Wow, I love reading on my e-reader I have the original Nook Color. I loved it them and love it now. I can get all my subscription right to my Nook and all the pictures are in color so I'm not missing a thing. I take it to the beech with me every year and read for hours. I've already decided if it ever does Kindle paper white is the way to go.

Feb 21, 2018
e-readers will stay. no doubt in that. the experience of reading a book comfortably without the strain of carrying it is by itself is great.

Feb 22, 2018
I will never give up my kindle oasis. Love the size, backlight, no distractions, etc. I have several books stored on my device and they do not take up any room or clutter my living area.

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
The reason that 'sales' are in decline is probably related to the simplicity and robustness of the product, you simply don't need to replace them very often. Mine is a 1st gen one, and still going strong.

Feb 22, 2018
I've owned a Kindle for more than 8 years and am on my second one, after the battery finally died in the first one. There are many places to obtain free e-books including the local public library--I've probably spent less that $20 total on books. ... well, add the annual Amazon Prime membership too. Not a bad investment for this avid reader.

nduke

Honorable
Sep 8, 2017

I'd hesitate to conclude that declining e-reader sales indicate that we're reading less. With Baby Boomers retiring, I actually think we are reading more because now we have the time. And students no longer need to carry mounds of books for classes since a great number of textbooks are available for e-reader devices. I'd be more likely to conclude that e-readers are simply a tool provided to sell more books, and the companies that make them are not really looking for high turnover, high profit items. If they were, companies like Barnes and Noble and Amazon wouldn't make reading apps so readily available. I absolutely LOVE my e-reader and certainly don't think it's ready to go the way of the Betamax yet. It's REALLY nice to have a piece of tech that isn't planned for obsolescence.

USAFRet

Illustrious
The only line in the whole article that makes sense and actually explains this:
E-book sales more or less leveled off, but e-readers took a huge dive.

So people are buying the same number of books, but not as many readers.
That is the way it is supposed to work!

Amazon...you made a good product. It doesn't die or need "updates".

Status
Not open for further replies.