Is the PSP Phone a Eureka Moment For Microsoft?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
"Perhaps someone from Apple could help Microsoft out?"

Very, very sad final comment there. I'm ashamed that you put something like that. We had Windows mobile 6.5 that could do it all, but Tech sites didn't want that. MS went away, trashed 6.5 and came back with a MUCH better version 7 and yet, the tech sites still have a go.

dkant1n

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
I really liked the article and I think Tuan's analysis is correct. M$ needs to stop delivering over-the-hour products. I think they have a lot of potential but they are a shadow of the monster they used to be. Perhaps they are having trouble adapting to the emerging markets?

dallaswits

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]CsG_kieran_2[/nom]Only thing that we can call successful from MS is windows, even though its a half hearted copy of OS/2 (IBM). Credit to there first full blown OS.... yeah, it was Vesta. Nice view you giving there my WF7 sucks...[/citation]
You know how far off base you are, right?

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]sultansulan[/nom]And last time, Microsoft won the OS war, this time it's Google - that's great for consumers, as it's an open source OS that wins, meaning Android's monopoly won't hold back innovation (unlike the Windows monopoly, where only Microsoft could drive things forward; this time everybody can).[/citation]
Lawl. Outdated source drops != true open source. They could still make a monopoly with it, Google still completely controls Android and its source. They could even start charging for it, if they wanted to. They won't, because they already make tons of money off adverts and data mining, but they could and you couldn't do jack about it. Because again, Google is the only one that controls Android. They're really no different than MS or Apple in that regard.

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I know what you are trying to get at Tuan.

WP7 is nice, clean, smart and modern but in the end there's no "OMG thats crazy i HAVE to have one" that iPhone and Blackberry have and there's no buzzword like "Droid" to spread the word/brand.

XBOX has a huge buzz, brand, loyalty, following and network. Using the XBOX brand to make a cohesive line of gadgets, that all integrate together, using the same interface and design sounds like a no-brainer. A Kinect Phone (no more WP7), 360 Tune Box HD (no more Zune), X-Tablet? Sounds awesome to me!

Like it or hate the idea, you have to admit that could take the market by storm....

angelraiter

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
WTF is the deal with these spammers!?!?! Everyday I log in and find this crap here! Seriously, nobody here clicks on your ads, trust me! Please go be useless somewhere else!

bynak

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Nice article if only it was full of crap and missleading info.

Microsoft doesn't need an identity! Nobody needs one - except for the author of the article. People just need a phone/device that I like and suits mu needs.

WP7 is not competing with Sony so I am not sure why is PSP mentioning here. Microsoft has abandoned an entire platform /WM 6.../ only to make a new and better one for the modern needs. I love the idea of hiding the apps and insted just showing the services those apps provide. The author was wondering why are all WP7 devices so alike - well what about all the iPhones, aren't they all the same. Didn't hear complaint to Apple for making just 1 phone at a time. Also Microsoft isn't making the phones - only the OS. From the article people might start thinking that MS is actualy producing phones.

I lost count of all the proApple articles that are on Toms. Cmon guys are you on payroll from SJ.

G

I really disagree with MS Win7 phone advertising. Simply they are saying their phone do the exact same thing as all the other smart phone and nothing more. Well there is xbox live but they don't go into detail. Do MS expect people to pay $500 for another smart phone just like the rest? The majority of the consumer would pass.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I'd like to think that Microsoft's ads were really saying that the extraneous information we are bombarded with everyday is the distraction, and that Windows Phone 7 takes you directly to what you need, when you need it.

This is coming out of a guy that hasn't seen the ads in any great detail, but that's just my thoughts.

mergatroid

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
This is pretty funny:

"According to Mobclix, 46 percent of Android users anyway prefer a touchscreen over a keyboard anyway" (nice proof reading BTW)

Lol, if 46% of Android users prefer a touchscreen keyboard, that means 54% prefer a real keyboard. On top of this, being a PS3 owner, I can tell you I vastly prefer a real keyboard. I like touch screens too, but for texting or email give me a real keyboard any day. Again, as a PS3 owner I won't be purchasing the Sony phone BECAUSE it doesn't have a keyboard. When they were announcing WP7 I was very interested, but there were two deal breakers. One was that you are restricted to purchasing apps from an app store again. Sorry, I want to be able to get my apps where I please. Even though a group came out with an app that would allow you to install apps from your desktop, apparently MS interfered and convinced the developer to remove his app. Second is that the device does not have very good multitasking, and none for general apps. So, there are two "gaming system" phones, and I will purchase neither one.

However, I think the article author is too hard on MS. Making a phone for people who want to get their task done and over with seems like not a bad idea. Of course, I'm willing to bet the author owns an iPhone (iPhone owners seem to go out of their way to trash MS). I could be wrong, but it would make sense.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I'm still waiting for somebody to be sitting next to me with a WP7 so I can ask for a demo. But, it looks like that will never happen. It looks like I'll have to go to the store.
I did have lunch with a guy last week who said he was going to buy one.

G

This article doesn't even deserve a zero mark, but RATHER A NEGATIVE 10.
Dude have you been taking too much opium lately? Vietnam hey:))
Ms did not want to copy the icon list style of iPhone or Android. I personally don't like Steve Jobs as I think he is a rip off guy!
I do like Android, especially the Samsung Galaxy S. I work for a Telco and the Samsung Galaxy S has lately largely out sold the iPhone! The Xbox Live will surely attract youngsters. The social networking is better integrated on the Windows 7 Phone compared to the others!
Also, unlike Android, the updates will be provided by Ms and not the carriers; thats a good thing. My friend is still waiting for his provider to send the Android updates and his brother with another provider ha got his updated 4 months ago :)
Also Ms has changed their ways as now they have a proper dedicated team for Mobile Services and smartly hired people who have had good experience in the mobile market.
All these little lacking of Copy & Paste, Multi-Tasking will be solved with software updates.
So I see no issue here. Personally I like the tiles designs as it changes from the too common icon list displays. The phone is fast and fluid. The virtual keyboard is as good if not slightly better than iPhone. It is a slow but safe start for Ms new Wp7. Good job there Ms.

blackmancer

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
no offense but you sound like a baby and for once, I don't mind M$s pitch. some ppl just want a communication device what works, is simple to use and isn't filled with games/whizbangs etc - they're called grown ups, lol.

blackmancer

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
"WP7 phones target those people who really don't like spending time with their phones. They are tools, rather than entertainment devices, designed to "get you in and out" of your communication tasks as quickly as possible. It's for all those who consider communication on a phone a distraction"

my new favourite quote of teh year!

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
I think Microsoft has their image right. Microsoft has always been aiming their products at a specific crowd and I believe WP7 is no different. This isn't a phone oriented at your typical douche who spends his days updating his facebook/twitter statuses. It's oriented at the business crowd who just want to get it done.

Blackberries have a reputation for being "Business phones". Other phones like the iPhone or Android based phone get a bad rep because you can install games and all that other useless stuff business people never do. Blackberries can do that too... Now. But you can see how that image stuck. Given the choice, I would much, MUCH, rather have an iPhone than a Blackberry in a business environment. I think WP7 is a device that targets not the general consumer, but the business/IT who are looking to be productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS