Is the security setup for my new pc good?

Marika_1

Estimable
Sep 10, 2015
Im using window 10, Firewall on, window defender off, BitDefender for real-time protection. I mainly use this pc for gaming. Im a pretty secure person, i wont click on those "sketchy link". Most of the time on internet, i only go to Youtube.

Antivirus, Malware: (I scan with all of these once a week)
-Bitdefender free edition
-Window Defender full scan.
-Eset online scan
-Malwarebyte AntiMalware
-Adwcleaner
-Rkill
-Sophos Virus removal tool
-Junkware removal
-Roguekiller

Chrome extension:
-Https everywhere
-Ublock origin

Internet password is strong.

Is this enough or maybe way too much? Any advices is appreciated. :)

Solution

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014
I use windows defender, and never manually scan. I also use spybot anti beacon to disable a lot of the win 10 telemetry. I dont think I have had a virus on one of my personal computes in a decade or more. I find using common sense while browsing the internet is the best anti virus one could have. In my opinion you are going a bit overboard with all those programs if all you do is game and watch youtube videos.

hdmark

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015
i think the only way you could be safer is if you just disconnected from the internet completely :D

but like others said, it hink thats a bit overkill. if you did want to add another layer/different solution, you could get yourself a VPN too.
i didnt see it listed but i would get a reliable password manager. if youre worried, get keypass. i believe its offline based and you can put your passwords on an encrypted, password protected USB stick . Or if youre not as worried, use something like LastPass. I use it for almost everything

Marika_1

Estimable
Sep 10, 2015

Yea i think im being way TOO caution because this is my first pure gaming pc and its really expensive lol. In that case, which program i should remove?

aquielisunari

Distinguished

Does it work? Can you freely navigate to the sites you want? Is your PC sluggish or does it often become non-responsive? Do you get a lot of false positive notifications?

It's up to the individual and the programs they use to determine their safety level. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Is your Windows password a combination of capital and lower case letters, numbers and symbols? Same with every other password(that allows symbols)? Don't answer those password questions please. Have you looked into NoScript? Do you have a program such as Glasswire that shows your internet activity changes such as a new program accessing the internet or a program changing versions?

Marika_1

Estimable
Sep 10, 2015

Yes, my laptop is working fine now, i can definitely see the huge difference. Before i do all the scan, its super lagging and often non responsive, the internet connection would become limited and unable to join the wifi for a certain amount of time.
No i dont own Glasswire.

aquielisunari

Distinguished

Then I would certainly trim the fat from your security detail. Which ones are up to you. Some people prefer to have one for malware, one for viruses and one for malicious script. Others have a different way of dealing with the bad guys.

Oddity?Some hackers only do good.

Solution

USAFRet

Illustrious
And the real protection that is not mentioned anywhere above is having a good tested backup routine.

If, on the 0.00001% chance my system gets so completely hosed up with viruses, I'll simply blow it away and recover the system from a backup made before the BadThing happened.
This also covers broken drives, accidental deletions, etc, etc.

Marika_1

Estimable
Sep 10, 2015

Alright i will cut down some, Bitdefender for AV, ADWcleaner, Malwarebyte and Sophos for AntiMalware. Btw what is the malicious script u mentioned? Do the 4 security i listed above covered it??

Marika_1

Estimable
Sep 10, 2015

Correct me if im mistaken, when u said "recover the system from a backup made before the BadThing happened." Does this mean u are backingup every single file into ur external hard drive/storage? By every single, i literally mean EVERYTHING inside Local disk (C), New volume (D) and so on...thats a huge amount of storage.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Yes, literally everything, across 3 main PC's, and the NAS box....:lol:

The PC's are backed up to the NAS box every night (incremental backups), and the entirety of the NAS box is backed up to an 8TB external drive once a week.

Read more here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3383768/backup-situation-home.html

Marika_1

Estimable
Sep 10, 2015

Oh my, im speechless lol. Do i really need to do it the way like yours? Or maybe just store some important stuff like photos, music, games is enough, thats all i can think of? That pc is solely for gaming, i have an old laptop for office work though.

USAFRet

Illustrious

No, you don't have to.
I don't know how much drive space you have, but a 2TB external drive for $75 is cheap insurance.

And one or two current games takes up as much space as the whole OS and your other applications.
Which is easier to rebuild?

Marika_1

Estimable
Sep 10, 2015

I have a 1TB external drive. And yes, those games size are far more bigger then all the other application. Download all of them maybe need 1 week, that is if i open my pc 24/7 which i wont. So rebuilding my OS is easier.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Whatever way works for you.

aquielisunari

Distinguished

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-move-a-pc-game-to-another-hard-drive-without-re-1714706774 makes backing up your Steam, Origin and Uplay games nice and simple. Download 100's of GB's of games? No thank you.