Is There a Female Gender Bias in Wikipedia?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Don't waste our (male) time with such drivel. Who, but a woman wants a weepy-eyed exploration of the Dudley families relation to Queen Liz. Better to give the **manly** answer "... what a bytch..." and move on.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]When is K-Zon going to be banned?[/citation]
His post is hidden, you have to be looking for it to find it. Not sure what your problem is but for starters don't go looking for posts just to complain about what they have to say. If you don't like the trolls don't go out of your way to feed them.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]cognoscentiable[/nom]The information they add and edit is reverted or changed because it's wrong, not because of the gender of the person that added it.If there's a lack of information in 'articles geared toward women' what's stopping more women becoming editors? Am I misunderstanding what wikipedia is? I'm not seeing a bias, just a lack of female contribution.[/citation]

Nailed it

snurp85

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
this research is meaningless. wikipedia articles can be edited by anyone. So why then do more men update wiki pages compared to women? Simple, because thats just how it is. Women probably dont care enough to update articles. Its not that its biased towards men. Saying that its biased would be like saying building computers is biased towards men because more men build computers. Its a matter of what the sexes like to do in their spare time.

A similar article could be written about how boy bands sing songs are biased towards women. Its not that they are actually biased towards women, its just that thats what women like. Some men like them im sure, but boy band music tends to be listened to by women.

So basically... stop taking random things that guys like to do that women dont and saying they are biased towards men. Men and Women are different, and its natural that they will like/do different things

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Are the women they sampled really women? How many of them are guys posing as women (as if that never happens on the internet)? If so, then that would greatly skew the results and also offer some insight as to the negativity from that sampling.

jdwii

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Please, if you guys are going to bring up sexist remarks, do it somewhere else. This isn't a website for people like you, it is for people with at least an average IQ (that would be +100). Then again, I highly doubt you have an IQ above 25...

Ha ha most people on this site have high IQ 100+ that's why they can build their own PC's instead of having to go to Bestbuy

jdwii

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Again i'm getting pissed about this spam in a way i wish toms made it were they have a mod that reads each post before allowing it to be on the site

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]jdwii[/nom]Ha ha most people on this site have high IQ 100+ that's why they can build their own PC's instead of having to go to Bestbuy[/citation]

You do not need such a high IQ to be able to build a computer. My 9 year old brother can build a computer, and he isn't the brightest kid in the world.

turbolover22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]slicedtoad[/nom]holy shit, read k-zon's comment on the first page. Complete mind-f*ck. His lack of grammar is like an art form.[/citation]

I actually think it is an art form. Reminds me of a while back when there was all the commotion online about the google research papers you could have automatically generated. There was occasionally sentences that made sense. But most of the time it was just words thrown together.

Avro Arrow

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Yeah, this couldn't POSSIBLY be because males outnumber females on the internet by a ratio of about 1,000 to 1. It also couldn't POSSIBLY be because males are far more into computers than females will ever be. When one gender takes up an interest in something and the other does not, then yes, it will become more geared to them. Kinda like taking psychology in university. It's definitely a gyno-centric field of study these days. This whole article is useless.

G

I am a pretty long time wikipedia editor and was going to write something until I saw this right under the comment box.
"Ukraine Women Want to Meet You Watch Womens Videos Now - Free!"
Suddenly, I am not so interested in contributing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS