is there a huge difference between a 950m 2gb and i7-7500u and a 950m 4gb with a i7-6700 hq for gaming

Omar_94

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
i woild like to buy a gaming laptop with a decent price and good performance and quality so i was wondering if i have an i7-7500u with a decent gpu like the 950m will i still be able to game without an hq cpu

Solution
Simple answer, the i7-7500u (Dual-core) is basically an ultra-low voltage processor, ideal for 'on the go' laptops and power saving, with good performance for business/office work

On the other hand, we have the i7-6700 hq, a pretty fast (Quad-core) processor, ideal for performance focused tasks. For example, photo editing, gaming etc...

Additionally, the GTX 950M is a pretty good mid-range graphics card, can play a variety of games at medium - high settings (Depends entirely on the game obviously).

Pairing the GTX 950M with the i7-6700HQ would be ideal, and would allow you to play relatively all games at an average of medium to high settings, with pretty good FPS. However, pairing the GTX 950m with the i7-7500u would bottleneck or...

Seaweed Monster

Estimable
Jun 7, 2014
Simple answer, the i7-7500u (Dual-core) is basically an ultra-low voltage processor, ideal for 'on the go' laptops and power saving, with good performance for business/office work

On the other hand, we have the i7-6700 hq, a pretty fast (Quad-core) processor, ideal for performance focused tasks. For example, photo editing, gaming etc...

Additionally, the GTX 950M is a pretty good mid-range graphics card, can play a variety of games at medium - high settings (Depends entirely on the game obviously).

Pairing the GTX 950M with the i7-6700HQ would be ideal, and would allow you to play relatively all games at an average of medium to high settings, with pretty good FPS. However, pairing the GTX 950m with the i7-7500u would bottleneck or 'hold back' the graphics card, due to the performance differences (Processor not being able to keep up with the faster graphics card).

Plus the differences in Graphics memory 2GB's to 4GB's makes a considerable amount of difference in games. The 4GB model graphics card would be beneficial.

Overall, I would recommend the GTX 950M with the i7-6700HQ, if possible + would be worth it in the long-run.

Hope that helps,
SM

Solution

iZombie_1

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
Basically between the 2 processors there is just a 0.2-0.3mhz difference which is not and in laptops which is much less of a difference
950m 4gb is obviously the better choice to go between the to graphic cards which is giving you the more graphic memory
Don't waste you money just for .2mhz go with second option

Seaweed Monster

Estimable
Jun 7, 2014
Sorry iZombie, but that's not entirely correct.

There may only be a 0.2 Ghz difference between the processor frequency/speed, but it does not remove the fact that the i7 6700hq has 4 cores/8 threads and the i7-7500u has 2 cores/4 threads.

While the processor speed differences may be minimal, the difference between a dual core and a quad core is very noticeable, especially in games and overall multitasking.

Plus, the i7 6700hq is around 50% faster than the i7 7500u.

See the benchmarks below:
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7500U-vs-Intel-Core-i7-6700HQ/m171274vsm34954

Thanks,
SM

QARTS

Estimable
Nov 20, 2014
Wanna add something here,am using Asus ROG GL552JX Gaming laptop from the past year(more than a year almost) and am super satisfied with it.
Config-
i7 4720HQ
GTX 950M 4GB DDR3(Well please make sure about the GPU variant because i think the 2GB variant of 950M can be DDR5!)
So if its the DDR5 one then definitely go for it else the 4GB DDR3 might suffice too.
Well yeahh its a pretty good combo and not excellent for gaming but decent pack for our requirements.
I've played almost all the latest titles on it and the run butter smooth(though some high quality textures need to be compromised here)
So i'll definitely recommend you this GPU and as far as the CPU is concerned your i7 6700HQ would be my best bet.
All the best and happy gaming.

Based on an article that compared a GTX 950m DDR3 to a GTX 950m DDR5 from last year (I cannot find it with several Google attempts) using around 7 or 8 games (which is not very many), the DDR3 version is around 15% slower than the DDR5 version.

As for the amount of dedicated VRAM, a GTX 950m is not really powerful enough to make use of 4GB of VRAM in games especially if it is DDR3 RAM.