Is there a Windows program that can do a face search on my local drives?

jungleexplorer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Okay. I have an archive of over half a million photos. This archive is very well organized with hundreds of folders. So say I want to find a high quality of picture of my son when he was two, I can go to the year folder when he was two and search through the many folders under that year for it. But the problem is, what if I want to make a video of my son growing up over 20 years. I would have to go through hundred of folders over the years looking for pictures of him. Can I do it? Yes. But it is laborious and time consuming.

So I am wondering if their is a software that will allow me to do a face search? I know Picasa does this, but you cannot use it to look for a single face. Picasa looks for all faces and with a database of the size of mine, it would take weeks (or months) for it to find all the faces on my drive. I am thinking something more along the lines of Google"s Picture Search, that allows you to give it an image of a face and it look only for images that have a similar face in it. Is there anything our there like this?

jungleexplorer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
No worries friend. I guess Picasa is the only one that has this technology. I have it running now, but it is going to take days. Picasa does a great job at it. The thing I don't like about Picasa though is that it maintains a database of face IDs and when you have over half a million photos like me, that database is over 20GB in size. That would not be a problem if Picasa would let me choose the location this database is stored, but it requires it to be stored on the C drive under Appdata. I use a 120GB SSD for my C drive where my OS is. Picasa just eats up the limited data space on my 120GB OS drive. Now that SSDs have come down in price, I think I will buy a bigger one, so this won't be much of a problem anymore.

Marble Tom

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
I have the same question... the *one* software solution so far is FotoBounce, http://fotobounce.com/fotobounce-overview/

I have not found any users to give a recommendation yet.

Does anyone here use it?

Thanks,
Bob