Solved! Is there any 50+" 4K TV That's not "smart"

Solution
The cost of "educating" a TV isn't that high. Certainly less than the cost of a streaming stick or box since there is less or no additional hardware needed in most cases. Leaving it out of a higher quality TV limits the potential buyers so they all chose to include smart apps.
I also prefer to use an external streamer because I can chose which one I like and can update and change it when they improve. It does tend to make the user interface a bit more complicated than just selecting an input.

bjdripley

Estimable
Dec 17, 2015

It's such a shame. I'd rather just use a Chromecast or fire stick

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Nothing is preventing you from using a chromecast or firestick on these smart tv's. If you don't want to use their functions you simply ingore it.

bjdripley

Estimable
Dec 17, 2015

I'm asking this because it adds to the cost and slows it down. Money is spent on the smart function that could be spent on other things like refresh rate or just a lower cost

kanewolf

Judicious

The majority of home users aren't gamers. Refresh rate doesn't mean diddly to "Joe six pack". If he can have one remote, one power plug and one cable (or wireless) connectivity they are happy. Your viewpoint is not the majority, so the manufacturers aren't catering to you.

boju

Distinguished
Smart and video processing are two different things. Perhaps you're looking at this the wrong way.

The tv being 'smart' just brings internet features. If you want to improve response disable video processing features and this is done by setting game mode.

The cost of "educating" a TV isn't that high. Certainly less than the cost of a streaming stick or box since there is less or no additional hardware needed in most cases. Leaving it out of a higher quality TV limits the potential buyers so they all chose to include smart apps.
I also prefer to use an external streamer because I can chose which one I like and can update and change it when they improve. It does tend to make the user interface a bit more complicated than just selecting an input.

Solution