Is there such a thing as an optical to HDMI adapter cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunnyTomorrows

Estimable
Jan 2, 2016
I'm thinking of buying a bluetooth sound bar; however it only has an optical cable, and my television does not have an optical input-only a coaxial and 2 HDMI inputs. Is there a cable that can convert my HDMI into optical?

Solution

SunnyTomorrows

Estimable
Jan 2, 2016

Thank you for your reply, and Happy New Year!
I'm not sure about outputs and inputs...I would love to hook up my sound bar so that it works....
I do have a satellite tv receiver-perhaps I can connect to the rear of that?

A Happy New Year!
You can connect the soundbar to a passive output of the receiver, if available (not to the ones designated to speakers).
It would be helpful to provide the exact models of tv, soundbar, and receiver, maybe we can find the manuals on Internet and identify the inputs/outputs. options.

SunnyTomorrows

Estimable
Jan 2, 2016

Oh, yes-I forgot to supply that information...My television is a Proscan Model 32LB30Q, and the sound bar is a VIZIO SB3820x-C6 38" 2.0Channel (2015 Model). I hope this helps.

According to the manuals, both tv and soundbar have coax digital (out for tv and in for soundbar).
You need something like http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-ULTRA-Series-Digital-Coaxial/dp/B00FMZX4DS/ref=pd_sim_23_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=41TYXcSgMBL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0YDC2GAN4ZGKXG7X21AJ
On tv, the port is the second one, if you start counting from the right side to the left (between power input and external antenna) and on soundbar, the port is the top one on the left side.

Solution

SunnyTomorrows

Estimable
Jan 2, 2016

Alexoiu, that looks to be the solution! I did locate the coax port on the tv, and I may just have that cable in the house-being that I'm an amateur but avid tech/gadget girl, and I've gathered a collection of cables...I'll try one, or order this one from Amazon. Thanks for your patience! :)

You're welcome. I've never tested, but it seems that you can use a RCA cable too, if short distance and if matching the port. Something like http://www.digitheadinc.com/images/products/8-2106.jpg.
Not sure if the quality is affected, or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.