Is this a Decent Budget Laptop for Rec. Gaming?

johnm82

Estimable
Feb 8, 2015
17.3" HP Pavilion 17t

Processor & Memory:
Intel Core i7-4510U Processor (2.0GHz)
8GB DDR3 SDRAM (1-DIMM)

Operating System:
Microsoft® Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Graphics & Video:
17.3-inch diagonal HD+ BrightView LED backlit display (1600x900)
2GB NVIDIA GeForce 840M Graphics

Audio:
Beats Audio™

Rest of the specs can be seen by clicking the link below.

I just recently purchased this from www.costco.com(click to see item), and was wondering if it should have any problems running newer games like Dragon Age: Inquisition and Assassin's Creed: Unity. I don't mind if it doesn't run at optimal settings, but will those games run smoothly using at least ''average'' settings? Will it at least be on par with the graphics and performance of PS4 and XBox One? Sorry I'm not much of a computer literate person when it comes to PC gaming.

Also I'm thinking about upgrading the memory from 8gb to 16gb. Is that something that'll increase gaming performance quite a bit? Thanks.

The GT 840m is a decent mainstream graphics chip. It should allow you to run many games at 1600x900 with medium graphics settings. DA:I should not be a problem, AC:U is a different matter since that game has poor performance even after several patch from what I have read.

The graphics chips inside a PS4 and Xbox One are far more powerful than the GT 840m.

johnm82

Estimable
Feb 8, 2015

Thanks.

johnm82

Estimable
Feb 8, 2015

Well that unfortunately is a little out of my price range, but the specs do look appealing (even though I'm a relative novice). The thing I like about ordering from costco is that they give you a 90 day full refund window to try out your computer. If some massive price drops start occurring within the next 3 months, well then I will definitely consider going with something a little stronger and faster (and is 17in as I like having a big screen).