TDHBP_Messed

Estimable
Dec 27, 2015
I am planning to buy a gaming laptop, MSI Stealth Pro, it's one of the new GTX 10-series laptops and I wanted to gather some information about it before buying it and here are the specs before saying anything else:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
1TB hard drive and 128GB solid state drive (SSD)
6th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ mobile processor.
16GB DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 graphics 6GB GDDR5

GTX 1060 is good for gaming but I know that the performance is different on desktops, better people say but I don't really care about the little difference between them cause I'm not going to do ultra heavy gaming, just me and 60Fps! (or lower)

If I want to gather some info about the laptop I have to ask a couple of questions:

1. How long is the battery life, when I'm gaming and when I'm not gaming?

2. Is there a big difference in the performance between the laptop and a desktop? (I might not need an answer for this)

3. I can't remove the battery so how do I play on AC power?

4. How many hours can I play without it overheating?

5. Can I connect external hard drives to laptops? (if I can you don't have to tell me how)

6. Is anyone encountering any issues with the graphics drivers?

7. How much would it cost to fix the screen? (15.6" Full HD)

If anyone here is using a Stealth Pro are you satisfied with your purchase? I really don't know where I can get detailed info about any device so that's why I came here!

Thanks In Advance
John R.

---------------------------------
Some extra questions:
I added some gaming accessories to my cart that I'm not so sure about and I might need opinion!
----------
SteelSeries - QcK Mouse Pad.

How good is this mouse pad?
----------
Logitech - H540 On-Ear USB Headset

How clear is the audio it busts into my ears?
----------
Razer - Mamba Tournament Edition Chroma Laser Gaming Mouse

Is it laggy?

Again, thanks in advance.

Solution
1. It depends on what your playing, at 1080p med/high 1hr

2. A laptop all you can really upgrade is ram a desktop you can up grade any thing. BUT it does come down to use preference

3. You just have to keep it pluged into the wall

4. It shouldnt over heat if you keep it on a desk and have it getting the air it needs. (Note: Laptop cooling pads are not work it they just make them hotter.)

5. Yes you can they have usb drive ones

6. 1 or 2 people did on lunch but msi have it under control now

7. For a msi laptop I would say around 200/100usd

extra questions:

----------

I use it, The sides started to come up after year. That was for me tho I dont use a wist rest so it got extra ware.
---------
Logitech...

Dynomite54

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
1. It depends on what your playing, at 1080p med/high 1hr

2. A laptop all you can really upgrade is ram a desktop you can up grade any thing. BUT it does come down to use preference

3. You just have to keep it pluged into the wall

4. It shouldnt over heat if you keep it on a desk and have it getting the air it needs. (Note: Laptop cooling pads are not work it they just make them hotter.)

5. Yes you can they have usb drive ones

6. 1 or 2 people did on lunch but msi have it under control now

7. For a msi laptop I would say around 200/100usd

extra questions:

----------

I use it, The sides started to come up after year. That was for me tho I dont use a wist rest so it got extra ware.
---------
Logitech - H540 On-Ear USB Headset

I had this head set but I like the Logitech G230
----------
Razer - Mamba Tournament Edition Chroma Laser Gaming Mouse

No it is not laggy its a really nice mouse.

Solution

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Not if it's user error. If you break the screen on your laptop, no warranty in the world will cover it. Warranties only cover manufacturer error, like dead pixels or anything internal that might go wrong. But if you break the screen on your laptop, that's on you.

logainofhades

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Sometimes you can get an extra warranty/insurance, against user error breakage, but standard warranty won't cover you breaking your screen. If the screen just dies, warranty would cover it. If you accidentally smash a USB drive, when closing the laptop, and breaking the screen, for instance, you are responsible for the repair.

TDHBP_Messed

Estimable
Dec 27, 2015

Thank you so much, I got the info I needed!

Overall, the mobile version of the GTX 1060 should be relatively close to the desktop version (probably a difference of 5%). Compared to other desktop GPUs it should be in the ballpark of the GTX 970 and Radeon R9 390X.

1. MSI laptops are generally notorious for having short battery life because of small batteries to cut down on weight. Assuming it is a 15.6" laptop, then when gaming battery will probably only as 1.5 hours at most (and probably less), when just using it for daily tasks, then maybe 4 hours.

2. Since there is generally not a big difference in mobile and desktop CPUs, assuming they are of the same generation and clockspeed, there should not be much of a difference in performance unless the CPU in the laptop overheats and begins to throttle itself down. The GTX 1060 in both laptops and graphic cards for desktop has virtually the same performance because they are the same chip. It might be slightly downclocked in laptops to reduce heat and power consumption.

3. Simply plug in your laptop.

4. Depends on how well the laptop has been engineered. It also depends if they used too much or too little thermal paste. My Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 had so much thermal paste slathered on the CPU that the paste actually acted as a heat insulator rather than a heat transfer. There was enough thermal paste for at least 40 laptops. It took awhile to clean it all out and then I applied a rice grain size of Arctic Silver 5 (an old brand, but still pretty effective). CPU temps dropped by 10c - 15c which is pretty dramatic.

5. As long as it has USB ports you can connect external HDDs / SSDs.

6. Can't say.

7. It depends on the quality of LCD screen as well as the resolution. Replacement laptop LCD screens can range anywhere from $50 for cheap TN panel LCDs to something like $300 for high quality IPS screens. Those would be for 720p and 1080p LCD screens. 4k resolution LCD screens are likely more expensive. You will need to replace a broken LCD screen with another is that is explicitly compatible with your laptop model; there is typically no such thing as "mix and match" as far as I am aware.

Dynomite54

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
This is true but msi laptop screens are protected well for a laptop so unless you trowing it around it should be fine. And I am not sure but I think they may have a screen replacement service.