Is this gaming laptop worth it?

aqureshi

Estimable
Aug 27, 2014
I was planning on getting a gaming laptop and I came across an ad for an Alienware M18x R2 with the following specs:

i7 3610QM
Gtx 680m Sli (I think these are the 2GB versions of the 680m)
24gb DDR3 RAM
500gb hdd
2x1 tb samsung
128gb msata samsung
dvd rom
1920-1200 full hd led

The guy is selling this laptop for around $1700. My question is: Is the laptop worth it for that price? Please keep in mind that I plan to use it for gaming for the next couple of years and I have doubts about both the processor and how the 680m with 2GB of vram is going to perform over that time interval.

The other option would be to get a newer Alienware 17 with a single 780m and a 4930xm processor but this setup (probably) costs at least $2000.

Thanks in advance.

It's a fast system but are you sure you want to buy a 2 yr old used laptop with no warranty? Especially since you don't know how it was treated? The price for it is probably on the higher end even for an SLI system. It should be about 1/2 of new. If the system is local and you really want such a high-end laptop, make sure you test it with a benchmark to make sure it does not crash.

Lots of gaming laptops you can find here http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-gaming-laptops-ct-118_96_98.html

aqureshi

Estimable
Aug 27, 2014

Thanks for the quick reply. The thing is that in my country, it is hard to find good gaming laptops and the few dealers who do import them charge a lot (I know that they are expensive to begin with but customers are sometimes charged well over the actual prices). Sure you can build high-end desktops easily but those lead to additional complications and headaches which I would much rather avoid. Furthermore, if I order a system from XOTIC PC, etc., I am almost certain that the customs are going to be fairly high. If possible, please visit the following link to the Alienware section of the website for one of our most well-known stores:

http://www.saqiscity.com/newproductsbrands.php?subcatid=18&brandid=90

As a rule of thumb, divide the prices by 100 to get the price in US dollars --- the conversion factor is actually slightly over 100 but that does not matter.

Thank you for the advice to rigorously test the system before buying it. Can you suggest the most suitable benchmarks for doing this and perhaps the minimum running times also?

G

Even though it is a very good system it's been used for 2 years and has no warranty, I wouldnt pay 1700$ for an used system. I would rather have an 880m. Just think about this: Why is he selling it if it's only 2 years old and still going strong? Likely case is that it's not going as strong as it went the day it was bought.

Anyway, it's your call. I think what you wanted to know is how powerful that system is, and it is indeed, very powerful.

Henroyp

Estimable
Aug 27, 2014
i would not buy it first of all its to much for a used one and also why would you need 24 gbs of ram youre paying for overkill nothing will ever need that, and since its used you will never know if it has any real issues until you buy it and use it for a while

TRENDING THREADS