Is this laptop outdated or still good?

SG-118

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
Hey their I just wanted to if the ASUS G73JW-3DE laptop still performs well when it comes to light gaming and school work. Thanks
If you got any questions just ask and your opinions are appreciated

Solution
It looks like the 460m is a touch faster than my 745m, while I don't game often on my laptop I like to see how they do run on it. If I had to live with my 745m today I could actually do it. As long as you are very lenient on your special settings (Keep DX10 features like HBAO low or off) you can keep things in the medium range, adjusting between 720p and 1080p depending on the game needs. Like GTA5 and Guild wars 2 can be done well at 720p, while other online games like WoW and RIFT can be 1080p. Witcher 3 should be fine at 720p as long as again, the fancy effects like HBAO and hairworks are kept off and shadows kept low detail.

EDIT: For giggles I decided to install witcher 3 GOTY on my laptop. A lot of options turned down and 720p...

Ethanh100

Estimable
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah that will definitely be fine for web broswsing and such, and could handle some light games like CSGO or minecraft. I am guessing that you are planning on getting this laptop handed down or buying it cheap used, right? Because I wouldnt really recommend buying this new

JeffDaemon

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
It looks like the 460m is a touch faster than my 745m, while I don't game often on my laptop I like to see how they do run on it. If I had to live with my 745m today I could actually do it. As long as you are very lenient on your special settings (Keep DX10 features like HBAO low or off) you can keep things in the medium range, adjusting between 720p and 1080p depending on the game needs. Like GTA5 and Guild wars 2 can be done well at 720p, while other online games like WoW and RIFT can be 1080p. Witcher 3 should be fine at 720p as long as again, the fancy effects like HBAO and hairworks are kept off and shadows kept low detail.

EDIT: For giggles I decided to install witcher 3 GOTY on my laptop. A lot of options turned down and 720p resolution used, texture resolution kept at high though since video memory isnt and issue. Not many frame rate dips but it was difficult maintaining a constant 30fps. Still very playable and surprisingly still looks good. Even with foliage and grass turned down there is a good amount rendered close. Shadows are still kept so lighting looked great. This things got life left still. :)

Solution