Is this laptop right for me?

Alejandro Rayas

Estimable
May 17, 2014
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834318466&cm_sp=Homepage_HD-_-P3_34-318-466-_-06222015

I am looking for a laptop that is both cheap and performs well for basic tasks such as surfing the internet and watching movies. I also see that it is upgradeable to 16gb of ram and I will switch out the HDD after a few months to a ssd.
The hardest program I'll throw at this laptop is traktor (DJ Software) for a long time atleast
It has good reviews on Newegg
With this all said does the laptop look good for someone like me I think so but wanted imput before buying
p.s This will be my main college laptop I am a computer science major

Solution
look for a version with a symmetric ram arrangement (2x4 or 2x8 or 1x4 and get another 4 yourself and add them - as a worse case scenario) those odd 2+4 combo's are weird because either way you play it you waste a module to increase it... easier to just get one with 2 slots and one only used and add another identical module for dual channel...

if you will swap the hdd remember to partition your drive to a c drive for the os that will be as large as the ssd will be (a bit less) and data on another partition that way you can clone the os from the hdd

laviniuc

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
look for a version with a symmetric ram arrangement (2x4 or 2x8 or 1x4 and get another 4 yourself and add them - as a worse case scenario) those odd 2+4 combo's are weird because either way you play it you waste a module to increase it... easier to just get one with 2 slots and one only used and add another identical module for dual channel...

if you will swap the hdd remember to partition your drive to a c drive for the os that will be as large as the ssd will be (a bit less) and data on another partition that way you can clone the os from the hdd

Solution

Alejandro Rayas

Estimable
May 17, 2014

I have a 4gb stick I can take out of my old laptop that's ridiculously slow and replace the 2gb to get 8 gbs of ram
i've decided to get it hopefully it will be a good base starting point for my needs :)