Solved! Is this laptop's benchmark OK?

MaxJason1

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
I am thinking of buying a Clevo gaming laptop off eBay. It looks good, and seems quite capable. The owner of the laptop says it seems to have slowed down recently. He sent me images of the benchmark, and it seems to be performing ok, but I am not sure about some of the results... Can anyone tell me if you think there is a problem with the machine, and if the problem is fixable if there is one. The link to the benchmark result is below:
userbenchmark.com/userrun/2444059
Many thanks,
Max

Solution

That bench looks off to me too. Background CPU starts off way to high and is throttled too (overheating?). Background CPU when the bench runs is, I think the idle % so should be very low. Mine was 20% first time with chrome and a few nVidia...

GeoffCoope

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013

That bench looks off to me too. Background CPU starts off way to high and is throttled too (overheating?). Background CPU when the bench runs is, I think the idle % so should be very low. Mine was 20% first time with chrome and a few nVidia capture utils running still open, so I closed everything not needed and it was then at 3% to 4%.

My result from a non-overclocked rebranded Clevo: http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/2461957
Note that my Clevo is using a CPU a tad slower than yours, slower ram too so you should have a better score.

Ask them to run task manager, select startup tab and disable any crapware then reboot and run nothing but the benchmark to get a more accurate result. You should get much higher than "Yacht" on a GTX 980m I would think.

Edit: Just wanted to add these gaming laptops are really good, runs everything I throw at it (except VR) and is very enjoyable for gaming. Add a 144Hz external monitor and it's even better. The only issue I have is sound, you need headphones as the fans ramp up quite loud when gaming.

Cheers

Solution

MaxJason1

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
I've just asked him to do another benchmark without any other programs running... I would expect the system to be running faster... Apparently it could be a common issue with Windows 10? I'm not sure how easy the error could be to fix if it's not just a problem with the background processes though... I'll reply again when I get the results :)