Solved! Is this noise unhealthy for my laptop?

Dec 10, 2020
My computer makes an etching noise (see here
View: https://youtu.be/3rjdY6dlJaU
) Whenever it is on. When it's not doing much, the noise toggles on and off, but when its doing something, such as playing a video (the I played video in my video of the etching is muted) it becomes more constant. Is this an unhealthy noise or just a normal noise? The noise is very quiet, so you'll have to turn up the volume to hear it.

Solution
This model, at this edge, only has a speaker and optane memory/SSD around. No HDD, no fan, so it might be the left speaker or the SSD

updating the chipset, audio driver, firmware of the SSD and BIOS could help

if it´s the sound and if it´s still under warranty, maybe RMA it

if it´s the SSD, this is a common thing and is called coil whining. You should hear it louder if the SSD is writing things.

other than that you could try replacing the speakers or running a different SSD. But you shouldn´t be worried that this sound could be unhealthy for your laptop.
Dec 10, 2020
Which laptop model is it?

Might be the speaker, HDD or a fan

Might be normal
A Dell Inspirion 7586. I've noticed that if the computer is inactive for an hour-ish, the etching becomes far less constant, only happening in a few seconds burst every 30-ish seconds. May be a coincidence, though.

Dec 10, 2020
Additionally, when-there's 2-3 programs actively updating, audio through my speakers can become very compressed, and is usually fixed by restarting. Not sure if this is related, though.

This model, at this edge, only has a speaker and optane memory/SSD around. No HDD, no fan, so it might be the left speaker or the SSD

updating the chipset, audio driver, firmware of the SSD and BIOS could help

if it´s the sound and if it´s still under warranty, maybe RMA it

if it´s the SSD, this is a common thing and is called coil whining. You should hear it louder if the SSD is writing things.

other than that you could try replacing the speakers or running a different SSD. But you shouldn´t be worried that this sound could be unhealthy for your laptop.

Last edited:
Solution