Is Tor's Anonymous Internet Still Secure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
What if all internet traffic went to your ISP, through NSA, then back out? Would TOR even be secure at this point? If the traffic is routed through the TOR network to other peers then it would most likely pass through the NSAs servers at some point. Looks like we need a whole new internet.

TheLoneWolf989

Distinguished
May 10, 2013
TOR is so slow and was never secure anyway because for all you know it could end up going through a dodgy server provider, why can't people just get a VPN?

RealBeast

Distinguished
Why doesn't the NSA just lose the middleman -- I mean why waste time with Google and Microsoft. If they just buy my cable provider and offer a good discount on gigabit Internet, I would use their service so they wouldn't have to even waste time with FISA warrants and all. /sarcasm

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I don't see how people think the internet is a secure place. Always assume anything being transmitted can be read by anyone unless you take steps to secure on your end. And it's been know for a while that 1024 bit encryption of is on shaky ground. Theoretically the NSA has broken it and commercial level hardware is pretty close to making this feasible.

a20052020

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
Tor sucks for speed, security, usability. Not to mention because any machine can become an exit node all it takes is a lot of resources and manpower to own a large enough portion of the Tor network and you can figure out who and where the people are all without them knowing who you are. (Its like backwards privacy with a false sense of security and dial up like speeds).

Want a private network, make a private network. (The World Wide Web isn't private and even if the NSA wasn't watching you can be sure your ISP, Google, Random Companies, Universities, China, Russia, Random People... are)

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
"It's not at all clear that NSA can break 1024-bit keys easily, or even at all currently,"

So quit printing this crap please (every day, 3-4 articles, repointing again and again to the same guardian crap article that proves nothing also). The single line above kills the whole article. Among other statements showing the same. a 75% crack doesn't make a game work. IT just crashes at some point. Just like 75% of the instructions from point AtoB won't get you to point B. You be lost...LOL. Print this crap when they say 100% cracked and busted a guy on TOR etc. They had the starting point for the data, knew where it was going and busted john Q public yesterday...When you have that, print it, until this quit this crap.

The only thing for sure is you keep printing this crap without knowing ANYTHING for sure...LOL.

Tor still works. You may get a piece of information (even if they had the time to do this repeatedly for everyone), but still wouldn't know where it came from or where it was going that's the point of multiple points in the chain with each knowing nothing about the rest. You may know what I said, but you won't know I SAID IT.

Doctor_X

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
Just because the NSA can crack 1024 keys doesn't mean they can do it on a large scale and in real-time. They are either cracking the keys using large scale supercomputers which even for them can be slow when you look at the volume of data or they are using purpose built Quantum computers. The Quantum computers can crack most conventional code quickly, 1024 keys in a matter of minutes. The Quantum computer can use a modified Shor's algorithm to crack elliptic curve cryptography. it is of course unknown how many Quantum computers the NSA has, but outside of government only a few dozen exists.

The only way to be secure it to develop encryption that cannot be broken by Quantum Computers.

CyberPhoneix

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
Quantum Computing is just a pipe dream right now. I highly doubt the NSA has a CERN like laboratory buried under NSA headquarters lol. A project of that massive size would have been detected long long ago. The NSA might have broken the SSL encryption but in reality they likely were involved in it's development. So this isn't all that surprising really. What needs to happen now is the development of a new standard. One which is separate from the NSA prying eyes as they clearly don't have the american people's best interests at heart. Our founding fathers even knew better to make such claims.

Benjamin Franklin famously wrote, “Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.” Meanwhile, our president claims that we cannot have 100% security and 100% privacy and that as a society we have to make some choices. To that I say, no Mr. President, we don’t. Let’s look, for example, at the recent attacks in Boston. Our government was violating our rights, trolling through millions of phone records, sifting through mountains of data and yet still didn't notice, or didn't notice enough, that one of the Boston Marathon bombing suspects was traveling to Chechnya. Perhaps instead of treating every American as a potential terror suspect, the government should concentrate on more targeted analysis and an analysis that doesn't violate the Bill of Rights.

Goku San

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
your article about tor is really good but as i have experienced the google bot can travel back and crack your ip status and its really dangereous your site can be banned by google , for more information log on to http://www.funnyfacts.in

Status
Not open for further replies.