Is Toshiba committing seppukku?

10thmtnarty

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
Back in 2010 I bought a qosmio series laptop. The thing was built like a tank, had great speakers, a great design, just everything about it was superb. I took it overseas wuth me and beat the piss out of it, dropped it on multiple occasions, and it was even in a truck that got hit by an ied and still lasted another 18 months with occasional bsods and hardlocks before it finally died. In 2013 I looked, but they were nowhere to be found. Every computer tech I knew said they were extremely popular, so Toshiba had no real reason to kill that line. I finally called toshiba direct, and they confirmed they had killed that line and also confirmed that it was an extremely popular line.

Today I was having trouble with my smart tv so I called customer service, and guess what I heard? "Toshiba no longer offers customer support on televisions." Are they trying to go under?

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
It has really been quite a long time since Toshiba made a laptop that stood out from the rest of the market. The Satellite series used to be pretty good midrange laptops with good speakers, power, and screens. This was back before even the Core 2 processor days.

I had a Tecra in 2006. Bought it because it was supposed to be durable and have long battery life. I absolutely hated that thing.

Just seems like a lack of innovation on their part has brought them under, and they've been selling off assets like their storage and memory manufacturing.

Toshiba got hit by a double-whammy. First an accounting scandal (overstated its profit by $1.2 billion), then massive liabilities from Westinghouse's nuclear plant construction arm suffering cost overruns (est. $9 billion).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshiba#2015_accounting_scandal

They're doing everything they can to cut costs and raise money to pay for those shortfalls, including selling off lucrative branches like their memory business. I'm not at all surprised they're cutting back on production and support of laptops and TVs.