Status
Not open for further replies.

Graybush

Estimable
With Microsoft's announcement that they'll be pulling away on VR development for the Xbox and instead concentrating on PC platforms, you have to wonder if Virtual Reality is going to be a realized genre for the gaming world.

Others will argue that VR definitely has a place and that some companies (like Sony) will continue to invest in the technology like the PS VR headset. Other argue that Augmented Reality or Mixed Reality is the next step in gaming and will point to Apple and other mobile developers for making that happen.

Do you think VR is dying? I want to hear your thoughts.

feelinfroggy777

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
Nope, it is not dying, it is still a baby. The technology is just not there yet for gaming. It will need to get cheaper, smaller, lighter, and better. Imagine what real time ray tracing will look like in VR? The problem now is it is expensive. It is not comfortable. You can VR all day on Saturday like you can on a PC or Console because the ease of use it not there yet. But it will get better.

I am not saying this as a VR person either. I don't own any headset. But I will get one, when the tech is there.

why_wolf

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015
Just like the 90s VR got pushed to hard to fast. While it does have promise, though AR has far greater promise it's simply to early for either to be prime time.

I think the real question is did VR overextend itself so far that it will collapse again like it did before or if it can hold out till it finally reaches price/features/usefulness equilibrium?

Frankly I'm ambivalent of the three main companies involved, none are dependent on it working out and could cut their losses at anytime.

Oculous - owned by Facebook. Makes no sense why its owned by Facebook very easy to see them shuttering the whole thing.

HTC/Valve Vive - HTC is perpetually on the verge of bankruptcy and Valve has no allegiance to any hardware and could switch or drop the whole thing at anytime. Or more likely just put the whole thing on life support and watch it slowly die out.

Sony PSVR - Sony creates and drops productions constantly. If it had been a big money maker they'd stick with it of course but I haven't heard anything to indicate that its doing any better than the PSMove did.

Reactions: apexpredator825

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
I would be curious to ask, what does a technology "Living" represent?

Since the first day I got my Dk2 and Vive, there have always been people who would say, "Oh, that is just a fad.. nobody cares."
Then I would strap them into VR, and instantly they were convinced.

But it is what it is.. it's not a technology that is going to kill another tech. (ie, LED to the incandescent).
So.. yeaah.. it is sorta an empty vague discussion.. kinda like "Who was the greatest boxer of all time?"

Questions that are made to divide.
Me.. I am happy as CHOCOLATE FUDGE with VR and waiting to try out the new tech. Hell, I am building a Mixed Reality Greenscreen setup in my house, because it is affordably possible! Think about that.. the average user can go on Amazon, pick up some greenscreens and go all James Cameron in your own home.

Present Tech is AMAZING!

USAFRet

Illustrious
"Dying"?
More like 'stillborn'.

Just like the multiple tries at 3D movies and 3D TV over the decades...it never really got started.

VR may have a place in certain business realms. Medical, theme parks...

But in the consumer space, it seems to be far too specialized and intrusive for too little gain.

Apr 14, 2018
VR is slow-going in the 21st century for the same that 3D movies went nowhere in the 1950s. You need clumsy glasses for the latter. And the results were mediocre. Likewise for VR, at least for now.

Maybe one day soon. But not yet.

Finstar

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
It's too new, expensive and undeveloped for average consumers. Maybe after some development and a serious drop in price we'll see it become more common.

codyteddy

Prominent
Aug 12, 2018
I don't think it's actually "dying". Maybe it was prematurely introduced into a world that wasn't ready for it yet, especially when individual consumers are considered. Even when big names like Sony released its own version thru the Playstation VR, it didn't get a really good public reception. But I think it is a technology that just took a step back and is preparing itself for a better launch at a time where it can assure an upward trajectory on its popularity, sales, and customer feedback.

robertbhart

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2012
I think it needs to merge more with traditional gaming to become truely main-stream. It also needs to become more than a couple of LCD screens in a plastic hat.

While there is limited novelty value in using your head as a joystick, it ultimately doesn't add much to the experience. As with 3d glasses, people just don't like putting stuff on their face for hours of gaming.

IMO, the unrealized opportunity for "VR" is in bringing the old arcade experience home. Anyone age 30-50 will remember the magic of those large sit-down driving games and gun games with UZIs that recoil like the real thing. Or motorbike games where you sat on an actual motorbike to control it. Those old games are still fun to play.

Now, they can replicate (and improve on) the graphics and sound but.... nobody has ever made genuine arcade quality peripherals for the home. A body harness that vibrates when you get shot just doesn't cut it. vibrating peripherals suck unless you are making adult toys...

We need quality peripherals made with metal and recoil solenoids and, a large library of quality titles that people like to play as much as regular games. We have all been burnt too many times with new tech that manufacturers don't support properly a drop soon after launch. Sony is a prime offender (2nd only to Sega).

Until then, most people will wait and see. The general lack of marketing though...well... it doesn't give me confidence that companies are committed to it long-term...

Karadjgne

Distinguished
Herald
What you want and what you'll get is often 2 different things. VR isn't cheap, you need a decent gpu to really get any use from it.

And peripherals are worse. Take 10 minutes to climb into a $400 VR capable bodysuit that breaks the first time you land on your duff after tripping over furniture or getting disoriented by the game.

Until VR is realistically affordable by the general public, I see it an an elitist fad and not much more for gaming.

Medical purposes, whole different ballgame. I'm currently writing this sitting in the waiting room as my wife undergoes a Cardiac Ablation. That's a laser tipped camera on a long snake, shoved up a vein to her heart, where they'll cauterise a specific spot. VR in the surgeons eyes would be a massive advantage over flat-screen monitors, the monitors only used for others watching.

Peter Martin

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
i agree with the mod. vr is just not something everyone wants, let alone needs. I hate it. I like gaming in my rocker/recliner with nothing on my face. i don't care how good it gets, I won't be getting it. no need. my imagination is better. my dreams are my vr

robertbhart

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2012
I guess there is the question "what is virtual reality"?

At the moment, every manufacturer seems to interpret it as a game played with a headset and vibrating body harness. This needs a rethink IMO.

I might have some interest if someone made a decent motorized vehicle based version but I'll never touch the current junk.

I disagree that they need to create a super low price product and reach the masses to be successful. I think it lends itself more towards being a high end niche product (like the Neo Geo back in the day). It clearly can not be done well on a budget.

Peter Martin

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
my nephews had to have the ps4 pro vr stuff, and, it is cool and works great, if you can stand the headset, but they never seem to play it... lol

it get's used when many kids want to play it and they take turns so it works out I guess

deadsmiley

Estimable
Mar 31, 2014
I have the Rift and Vive. Both are good systems with their strengths and weaknesses. As far as the headset goes, I prefer the Rift.

The game I have spent the most time in is Elite Dangerous. It is a sit down game but you are IN the freaking spaceship. Elite Dangerous combat in VR is truly incredible. It is something you have to experience first hand to appreciate.

maddoghealy

Estimable
Oct 14, 2015
I dont belive its gunna die. But the tech is still out of reach for most and development is slow as a result. Tech is young and will develop. i belive it aint like 3d it was a fad as there was no real purpose or use other than going thats cool then you get bored. Vr is so much diffrent and has far more potential is what i think of vr at least. I do hope it quickly gets cheaper so it can take off proparly

Karadjgne

Distinguished
Herald
Problem with VR and consoles is the same as it's been for most games. As the VR develops and gets more intensive, it's requirements exceed what a console can dish out, just like consoles took forever to get high detailing at good fps and high resolutions. You end up with games like BF5 looking like the Lego version. It takes a pc with access to fast, temp controlled cpus and high end, uber powerful gpus to get good VR results. Slow, low wattage processors with little cooling ability and low wattage igpus just can't realistically compete.

sizzling

Distinguished
I just think it’s not the next big thing, it’s another thing to compliment existing options. It is no going to replace monitors/TV’s, there are times it is a benefit and times it is not. I like FPS and racing games, racing games really benefit from VR if you invest in a rig but for FPS it’s not right. For me it’s going to remain a niech, it has its place but does that place have enough support to keep it relevant and interesting to hardware and software companies.

Phazoner

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
VR can feel less active than previous years because there were bigger advertising campaigns and it was the new thing. Actually there aren't such things and people still sees them as another expensive thing to but without many opportunities to try them (and everyone who tries them just loves them so people thinks that impressions are overreacted with commercial intentions.

maddoghealy

Estimable
Oct 14, 2015
There was just an artical released about the predictions of vr on this site. Vr isnt evry ones cuppa tea but i dont mind it bit wouldnt go to say that i love it just yet

Manji022

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010

I was going to say the same thing. If you do not have a HOTAS set up yet get one, trust me it is worth it.

VR is a technology that is still in its infancy, at least this version of it. There are a few things that need to happen to really make VR take off.
1. Wireless headsets. This is a thing, I know, but it is far too expensive to do right now with the major players.
2. Gloves instead of controllers. This is not even that difficult actually, and can be done with force feedback.
3. Better experiences need to come along.

When I first got my Rift I did so for 2 reasons. 1. I am an early adopter anyway and love new tech, 2. I played Robo-recall and it was stunning. The way you intertact with that game is fantastic (minus maybe locomotion) and the feeling of grabbing an enemy and ripping them apart while using them as a shield then throwing the parts at other enemy robots and finishing them off with dual wielded pistols was just plain RAD. Seriously, it was really incredible.
Then I finished Robo Recall and was kinda underwhelmed with the rest of what I could find. VR Chat (my son LOVES this) was cool, but after Second life it is just too limited. Onward is pretty good but it feels off since you dont have any real weapon and are just holding your arms out like you do.

Elite Dangerous in VR, with a HOTAS is what got me back into my Rift. In fact I absolutely love to hunt down pirates in my Mamba while my son flies wing in his Rift and HOTAS. The point is that I think that at the moment VR is best played with either speciality controllers, like a HOTAS, or as social games. The use of dual pistols in Robo Recall felt great though and if we had a force feedback glove for when we grabbed things it would really make a huge difference.
Also I HAD a steering wheel for project cars 2 and that was also a great VR experience, but as someone who drives in real life the disconnect was too great

Another idea is to make VR a destination thing. Laser tag arenas could be mapped into virtual space so that they look like something totally different in VR. Would need some better tech for stuff like climbing walls or something but general obstacles should be mappable no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.