Solved! Is VR worth it or should i look into upgrading my cpu?

Jonofre

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
GPU: GeForce GTX 1070
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Memory: 16 GB RAM (15.96 GB RAM usable)
Current resolution: 1920 x 1080, 144Hz
Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10 Home

I was wondering whether its a good idea to get a VR headset over upgrading my CPU to a current gen CPU like the i5 8600k.

Solution
Do remember that if you're doing a CPU upgrade to Coffee Lake that you're in for a new mobo as well.

Personally, I'd not bother with VR yet.

eliteyberion

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017
I played a lot with the Vive of my friend.
While I had some really nice moments they were really rare.
And now it's more of a party tool for people who never played it.
The fun wears off because most games are unpolished or don't really use the potential of the VR.
There is no game I could name you right now which you need to play. Compared to any other platform.

I have a friend who occasionally plays it. All others don't use it anymore.
In my opinion it's still in child's shoes...

RaidHobbit

Estimable
Jun 19, 2014
My HP Mixed Reality Headset is 6 months old.

With my last build it was a hassle getting it to work because there was no manual or information before hand telling you which cables you need to buy. Yes, you need a powered USB 3 connection. You need HDMI 2.1 cables. I only found that out after days of searching around the internet which in my opinion is dam poor. You expect the instructions to be made aware to you when you are thinking of buying a production, or at the very minimum are in the box once you`ve purchased it.

Following my recent upgrade to 8700k my MR headset no longer works. Well, I tell a lie, it works during setup for as long as you decide to spend in there. But as soon as I enter the main Mixed Reality Portal room I get two minutes before the graphics on my MR headset display turn off. What is the sodding point of that? The HP forums are a joke with none of the technical staff able to offer any meaningful advice. I have spent two days talking to one of them who thought the problem might be `I dont meet the hardware specifications` despite having a high spec pc.

What a God dam moron that technical assistant is, clueless about basic pc hardware never mind his own MR product. My advice is dont bother with VR for a couple of years, its just not worth the hassle yet as theres too many problems.