Is Xbox Live Coming To Android Too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!! Keep it exclusive, if you start giving away unique selling points why will people buy your phone?

You don't see Apple allowing iTunes on Android, same thing

G

im actualy considering getting a new nokia. its more responsive then my Desire Hd + cyanogenmod. and the development environment is good aswell.

its a windows phone worth getting for once.

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!! Keep it exclusive, if you start giving away unique selling points why will people buy your phone?You don't see Apple allowing iTunes on Android, same thing[/citation]

I would hate to see iTunes on droid phones. It is the absolute worse multimedia program in existence.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
@back_on_demand and mobrocket : You both make valid points. The question is : do Microsoft have enough faith in WP to make Xbox Live Mobile exclusive? If they keep it exclusive and fail, they lose on both grounds. If they release it to Android, they lower the chance of success of WP (because of the loss of exclusivity) while securing Xbox Live. Then again, if Sony is doing it... I guess I would go with availability over exclusivity. I still wish WP to succeed though!

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]i agree with you on one hand... on the other hand if WP if a fail, then MSFT didnt hedge their bets by being on all 3 major platforms... what is really said is MSFT has been in the mobile game longer then apple or google but just let the market slip thru their fingers[/citation]

this is about gameing, not just a phone

sony has a hand held device they dont want to eat into
microsoft has an os, but they also make money on every android sold (or at least quite a few)
and hand held gaming, at least where a controller isnt an option, is pointless to the extent of why try to make it exclusive?

[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]@back_on_demand and mobrocket : You both make valid points. The question is : do Microsoft have enough faith in WP to make Xbox Live Mobile exclusive? If they keep it exclusive and fail, they lose on both grounds. If they release it to Android, they lower the chance of success of WP (because of the loss of exclusivity) while securing Xbox Live. Then again, if Sony is doing it... I guess I would go with availability over exclusivity. I still wish WP to succeed though![/citation]

look at it like exclusive window dlc

phone 1 gets it first (win)
phone 2 gets it second (android)
phone 3 gets it third if at all (ios)

it doesn't matter the platform these games are on really, ms makes money off them regardless.
and windows 8 phone isnt just for gaming, its a total experience they are selling, integration of pc, tablet, and phone. selling these lesser games to every one else wont eat their win8phone sales.

any of you buy your phone exclusively for its games? tell me some games beside infinity blade, or angry birds or even words with friends... that aren't on every platform

unless winphone 8 has a model with a controller, you wont see much exclusive content because why bother, these arent games for gamers, these are games for the masses and they dont care.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]@back_on_demand and mobrocket : You both make valid points. The question is : do Microsoft have enough faith in WP to make Xbox Live Mobile exclusive? If they keep it exclusive and fail, they lose on both grounds. If they release it to Android, they lower the chance of success of WP (because of the loss of exclusivity) while securing Xbox Live. Then again, if Sony is doing it... I guess I would go with availability over exclusivity. I still wish WP to succeed though![/citation]
In order to take that gamble you need deep enough pockets to afford to lose if the gamble fails. Apple has this, so does Microsoft, so does Google. Keep it exclusive.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
@alidan : It's not about gaming; it's about exclusivity. Whatever the product or the purpose, the fact is that Xbox Live could be a selling argument for Windows Phone. If they provide the service to other platform, they have to make WP compete with Android/iOS on "equal" ground. If they ever want WP to gain market share, they'll have to find incentives, like exclusiovity on Xbox Live. But if they do that and WP doesn't sell more, they lose the profits they could have made by getting Xbox Live on other platforms. Hence, the conundrum.

stingray71

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Saw this coming from a mile away. Tablets and phones will be primary gaming platforms before you know it. Highly portable, becoming more powerful, BT connectivity (for controls, headphones), easily hooks up to TV via HDMI, and are relatively affordable.

G

Xbox Live being exclusive to Windows Phone was one of the more compelling reasons to purchase a Windows Phone, and created a differentiating factor for the platform, however the execution has been uninspired thus far.

The issue is the lack of interactivity, lack of games, and lack of multiplayer. Allowing Xbox Live on iOS and Android is completely senseless and is just one less reason to purchase a Windows Phone.

C'mon Microsoft. Instead of trying to sell more Xbox's by allowing Xbox Live on Android and iOS, try putting that effort into improving the service on you OWN mobile platform.

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
this is great. if it works on android it also works on other linux distro. I'm feeling much closer to delete my windows partition for once...

Elsapo

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Makes perfect business sense, Microsoft could become the king of mobile gaming using everyone else's hardware, you write the game once and it works similarly on all mobile devices, plus if you have an Xbox 360 /720? title. It can be tied in as well.

Imagine, you buy a game once, and no matter what phone you have, it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.