Is Your PC Up to Date? Benchmark it with these Programs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evolution2001

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
These are primarily intended for benchmarking your SSDs, but they can be used to benchmark any storage subsystem such as conventional HDDs and USB drives/sticks.

AS-SSD will test your system with a massive chunk of incompressible data.

Note that you won't want to run this utility a lot on your SSD if it has a SandForce controller, as it hammers the write tables pretty good which can/will decrease the performance. You can read about it in various forums.

Then there's ATTO Disk Benchmark which will let throw a set of compressible data on your storage subsystem. This is typically more in line with what most people see in daily usage.
and a link to download (since you need to get it from a 3rd party host) such as MajorGeeks

ATTO is good for determining if you're actually getting full SATA2 or 3 speeds, and if you are running a RAID, if the system is using it properly.

azbill12

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Evolution2001= Note that you won't want to run this utility a lot on your SSD if it has a SandForce controller, as it hammers the write tables pretty good which can/will decrease the performance. You can read about it in various forums.

==> Why is Toms floating this pcmark (among others) download link like everyone should try it right away? Thanks for pointing this out evo. Toms I love you but what's the deal here please with benchmark software and system stress/degradation?

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Also be a little careful about your Power Supply when stress testing...

My Q6600 @ 3.2GHz and 5850 @ stock
normally pull about 275watts at the wall while gaming

When running prime95 and Furmark simultaneously it pulled 525watts from my poor 500 watt Seasonic - made it OK though :)

I have had the freebies and several of the paid for ones but my most used benchmarking tool the last 2 years has been OCCT. CPU tests, GPU test, PSU test, graphed results, timed or looped testing, voltage, temp monitoring, alarms, auto shutdown at set points. Find it most useful when building, tweaking, benchmarking 2 or 3 machines at a time.

http://www.ocbase.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.