Solved! Issue with Laptop AC adapter overheating and shutting down

Jan 3, 2019
Good day,

My main laptop is in service center concerning keyboard issues for a month. I'm using my old MSI GT70 2PC laptop to play some games and kill time as of now. Problem is that I'm using a replacement AC adapter which I bought off of amazon. I haven't used this laptop in months but last time I checked everything worked well. Yesterday while playing I had this issue that the replacement AC adapter stopped working (my guess is overheating because the laptop was quite struggling with PUBG giving low fps). The AC just stopped working. There was no smell of burning or anything. After it cooled down a bit AC started working again (I know the issue is with AC adapter because the battery is dead so the laptop turned off the moment AC stopped working).

I don't want to invest in a new adapter for this laptop since when new one is repaired I won't be using this anymore. But boredom is killing me. I would like to know if there is anything that I can do to keep the adapter on cooler side. I noticed that while just browsing or watching videos or even compiling stuff in Visual Studio the laptop runs without issues but I've been scared to turn on anything demanding so as to not kill the adapter, potentially the laptop and to not risk burning the whole house down.

I have the battery still plugged in my laptop as it works up to a minute so when I want to transfer the laptop I don't need to shut it down. Will removing it go easier on the adapter? Can I play less demanding games, which, theoretically, don't require so much power to run? Is it safe to operate this AC adapter at all?

Sorry for the long text.

Thank you in advance!

Jan 3, 2019

It's a damn shame. This adapter worked without issues in August and I haven't used it since then as I'm studying abroad and I just carry my new laptop with me but now it became faulty just when I needed it.

Thank you for response.