It's been 5 months and I still haven t got an answer I've posted about 3 times on the forum and haven't got an answer.

HarryOnPC

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
Right what do I need to purchase to make my dynamic mic work in my PC eg preamp, mixer, cables because currently when I plug it into my sound card or rear PC it won't pick up my voice. I use windows 7 and have a stagg md 500

Solution
Yes that would work but one with a volume control would be better.
If you go with that one you would need a cable or adaptor for your mic with a 6.3mm jack plug to go into the preamp and a twin RCA or Phono to 3.5mm jack to connect the preamp to your computer.
It will certainly make the microphone louder.

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Can you do a scratch test on it and see meter action if you open Start\Control Panel\Sounds\ window? You probably need a recording software ready in a paused/record mode in order to see meter action in a scratch test. You can simulate this by just opening that window.

Cristi72

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014
Hello,

Are you relying on the on-board audio or do you have also a discrete audio card? Did you try also the front mic input?
Please check in Control Panel --> Sound --> Recording --> you should see at least three devices (2 x Microphone and 1 x Line In). Did the first / second device activates upon inserting the microphone jack in the front jack / rear jack? If activates, right click on it, go to Levels tab and augment the MIC volume and the MIC gain (the settings are: 0, +10dB, +20 dB, +30 dB). Also, you should check if on the Mixer menu in the right lower corner of your taskbar appears the Microphone tab when inserting the plug. If not, you should reinstall your audio card by using the latest drivers from manufacturer's web page.

Have you tried with some cheap mic, such as the gaming headphones do have? If such microphone works, maybe your audio card doesn't work well with dynamic microphones.

For better recording quality from microphones, you should consider a discrete audio card, such as an Creative Audigy or X-Fi, but only if the onboard audio quality is not sufficient for your needs.

HarryOnPC

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
Ive tried the front panel and rear panel and sound card and messed about with levels etc and it works but it is too quiet and doesn't pick up my voice unless i;'m really close
Ive tried the sound card with my headset and it worked propaly

I don't want to have to buy a new sound card, if I buy a preamp would that sort out the problem

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
A lot of dynamic mics have a low output especially if it is designed as a vocal mic for close up use.
A pre amp would certainly increase the output but may also cause a problem with picking up background noise.

makkem

Distinguished
Yes that would work but one with a volume control would be better.
If you go with that one you would need a cable or adaptor for your mic with a 6.3mm jack plug to go into the preamp and a twin RCA or Phono to 3.5mm jack to connect the preamp to your computer.
It will certainly make the microphone louder.

Solution