Itunes Slows whole compter to a crawl

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinbad123

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Hi, I built myself a new computer last year and now I have this problem with itunes were it slows down my whole computer to a crawl when ripping CDs. This has been a problem ever since i first installed itunes on my machine last febuary. other CD ripping programs proceed at normal speeds, only itunes slows my system to a crawl.

My Specs are:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
Memory: 4GB
HDD: 1TB
Graphics: Radeon 5770

Thanks in advance for any help

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
I'm going to assume that you have the error correction feature selected. With this option selected, it allows for scratches, fingerprints, etc..., to not effect the quality of the songs when ripping. iTunes does this by comparing error codes that are on the CD with the song data codes once they're ripped (to verify the data is good).

This of course takes up more processing power and will result in decreasing the rip speed (as it takes longer time to process more data) and could slow your computer down as well (needing more resources in order to perform the extra process).

With this feature enabled though, you won't have any defects in the song from the rip (unless its in the recording itself). But, if you're going for speed and are willing to take the risk (a big one at that, lol) of a few errors here and there, go ahead and disable this feature.

Edit > Preferences > General tab > Import Settings - uncheck the "Use error correction when reading audio CD's"

Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes!

Misterkatze

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Hi, I'm having similar problems with ripping CD's. Not only Itunes but Nero, Media player and Real player. Nothing seems to do it.

Funny thing is that when I rip CD's already copied from original Cd's the speed is great but when ripping Original Cd's the speed is really slow, One hour for one CD. Also the operating system slows down to a crawl and I can't do anything else.

I've checked the option for error codes and the box is not checked.

Help!

Misterkatze

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

Thanks for the suggestion Nikorr. Tried ripping Cd's this morning, some went really fast, some went really slow on Itunes. This is a brand new PC bought 5 days ago. Just dont understand why the operating system slows down to a crawl when ripping.

Its 3.3 Ghz Windopws 7. I could understand slow speed on one ripper ie iTunes, but on all like Media player, Nero and real player. It's got me puzzled

Misterkatze

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Pyree and Nikorr - thanks for the feedback. Have run a registry sweep to fix any reg errors. Ripping seems ok now but will keep you posted if tehre is any change. Many thanks for your help

nikorr

Distinguished

@Misterkatze, start your own thread on this in! And enable your right column so u can read and track your messages. We are hijacking sinbad123 thread and it is against rules of this forum!
20111020184620.gif

nikorr

Distinguished

BTW, sinbad123 any news on your issue?

luiscloss

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
A BIT OLD YOUR QUESTION, BUT SINCE I HAVE REPLIED TO OTHERS, HERE IT IS.

You can INDEED speed up your iTunes Library.

I'm a music lover, and in fact have a huge database. Have over 150k songs and a itunes.xml file over 200MB.
What I have seen so far are the worst problems ever. No questions about it.

This is what I did to resolve most of the slowness. Today I have a very good speed (best then ever before). Just for knowledge, when I started the testings and the problems, usually it took around 45 seconds to load itunes, and usually it hanged up while working or scrolling down the library. Today, it takes no longer then 10 seconds to load and usually it does not lock anymore.

1) There are some considerations where you store your musics (library), where you store your profile AND where you store your itunes library files.
1.1) your music you can store wherever needed. I personally have it on a RAID controller, which is much better
1.2) your profile may be a problem, better if your windows profile is ALSO on your SSD disk
1.3) the itunes library MUST be on your SSD disk.

2) BEST HINT> run you iTunes with proper privilege and put it on REAL TIME or HIGH.
Download PRIO, which is Process Priority Control. All you have to do is to change AND record that priority into the application. Real Time you may need to run itunes under your administrator account, otherwise you will have to run it under High Priority, which is basically the highest before Realtime.

3) UNSELECT "search all library" under iTunes search.

I have a Dell T110-II Server, Quad Core E3 Processor, 32 GB RAM, 128 SSD, 8TB RAID. Thus, using 3 AppleTVs and 3 Airport Express for audio.

So far, best action was to use the fastest available SSD for OS and iTunes Library Folder. Have also tried to "move" the iTunes library and run under a RAM Disk, which didnt gave the proper response. Try what I mentioned above and you will see most of the slowness disapearing.

I really dont love iTunes, but since i have so many iDevices running audio and video from my library, it was the best choice and best tunning I found. Today, it is really smooth.

By
LUIS

LRandy

Estimable
Apr 23, 2014
This used to be my problem too. iTunes can really slow down one's computer. Even if you don't run it when you open your computer, it runs itself. The solution I got to this is Mirekusoft Install Monitor 2. It's a utility tool that groups iTunes processes together and prevents auto-start up. You can run iTunes when you want too. You can read about it here: http://www.mirekusoft.com/preventing-itunes-from-slowing-down-your-system/

Status
Not open for further replies.