News I've almost filled up my 128GB phone again — and it makes me miss microSD card slots

ReeceC977

Prominent
Dec 27, 2022
"I've almost filled up my 128GB phone again — and it makes me miss microSD card slots" then just buy a phone with bigger internal storage instead of moaning about Obsolete MicroSD cards.

mhinman2

Prominent
Apr 23, 2023
What are you doing with your phone? For a typical user 128GB is more than enough. I checked my usage and I'm at 40% for a phone I've been using for 3.5 years. I use Google Cloud for backing up photos/videos but never pay anything for their cloud.

Reactions: Dael W
Dec 25, 2023
Man this article is such crap. Sure you miss your sdcard but there are so many more, better options out there with these new phones now that provide much more storage space, at vastly faster speeds.

You can hook up a portable ssd such as the samsung t7 using the usb c port and you get minimum 100x the read/write speeds of an SD card.

Don't want to spend extra to get an ssd? Setup a network share using your pc (for free) and setup your phone to share that storage using an app from the app store.

Fact of the matter is, sdcards are nowhere near fast enough to be used in phones these days.

You need a new job. Or write about articles that you actually know something about

Reactions: Dominimmiv
Aug 10, 2024
Still got 60GB free on my Pixel 7 128Gb and I've got 235 apps on my phone. Not everyone needs 256GB and phones are expensive enough already to pay for stuff they will never use.

Nov 21, 2023
The only question you need to ask yourself then is, why do you keep buying phones that don't have this option.

I read the technical specs before buying a phone, I don't hope for a hardware feature to just magically appear after purchasing a phone, especially knowing I might end up using the phone for anywhere up to 2 or 3 years.

If it doesn't have something I've always or regularly used, then it's put further down on the list of possibilities for me, unless it has something in place that's really compelling to me.

Sep 10, 2024
A couple of points to make here. First off, there are plenty of options for decent phones that still support TF/SD cards, they're just not your most expensive status quo phones. However they are still very good and capable phones. I won't and don't trust my data to any cloud storage free or paid. I have tons of storage of my own in the form of hard drives and SSDs that I've removed from old PCs and laptops that I put in inexpensive external enclosure that plug into my devices via USB. I do have a 128gb phone that doesn't have expandable storage but it has a specific use. I don't have any apps on it that aren't related to that specific use nor do I use it for pictures, videos, or music. It's never even come close to running out of storage but if it did I would just dump onto a drive. The only downside for me to not owning a flagship Samsung Galaxy phone is the camera. That may be super important to some and I'll admit I do miss my 50x space zoom. However I will never ever under any circumstances allow myself to spend any more than $500 max on a mobile phone. I've done it twice now and both were huge mistakes. I'm not even going to mention Apple anything because I swore that out of my life a long time ago for very valid reasons which don't apply here. If you're the person who needs a phone that costs more than many people's vehicles then you get what you get. Don't complain! Now on to one of my points about this particular article. Does the difference in speed between fancy internal phone storage and the removable expandable storage cards really matter that much? Not to me. If it does to you, again, you get what you get, don't complain. The phone manufacturers are conglomerates and they're going to put the stinky end of the stick to you whether you like it or not and if that's what you have to have then you live with your choices. I'm living with mine. I sacrificed the super cameras for functionality where it matters. I have 512gb internal and 1tb TF card that's pretty fast. It's a Samsung high speed card that's specifically for media such as videos and music. I don't see much difference in loading times as when the files are on the phones internal memory. That's my observation, you can listen to the hype over speed if you see that much of a difference. If we were machines that processed data at speeds beyond comprehension then it would be a different story but we aren't. We're people and if small fractions of a second are going to make that much of a difference, you have more issues than limited internal storage space on your phone. My pictures aren't great and they take a tenth of a second longer to load but I have no storage issues and I can plug wired audio devices in to it which is far more important to me and I don't complain about the photos and videos because... Wait for it. They make really nice cameras that don't have phones on them that blow cell phone cameras away and once you get one, if you buy a good one and take care of it, you won't have to replace it because the security crap on it isn't supported after a year forcing you to replace it. That is all.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023
A couple of points to make here. First off, there are plenty of options for decent phones that still support TF/SD cards, they're just not your most expensive status quo phones. However they are still very good and capable phones. I won't and don't trust my data to any cloud storage free or paid. I have tons of storage of my own in the form of hard drives and SSDs that I've removed from old PCs and laptops that I put in inexpensive external enclosure that plug into my devices via USB. I do have a 128gb phone that doesn't have expandable storage but it has a specific use. I don't have any apps on it that aren't related to that specific use nor do I use it for pictures, videos, or music. It's never even come close to running out of storage but if it did I would just dump onto a drive. The only downside for me to not owning a flagship Samsung Galaxy phone is the camera. That may be super important to some and I'll admit I do miss my 50x space zoom. However I will never ever under any circumstances allow myself to spend any more than $500 max on a mobile phone. I've done it twice now and both were huge mistakes. I'm not even going to mention Apple anything because I swore that out of my life a long time ago for very valid reasons which don't apply here. If you're the person who needs a phone that costs more than many people's vehicles then you get what you get. Don't complain! Now on to one of my points about this particular article. Does the difference in speed between fancy internal phone storage and the removable expandable storage cards really matter that much? Not to me. If it does to you, again, you get what you get, don't complain. The phone manufacturers are conglomerates and they're going to put the stinky end of the stick to you whether you like it or not and if that's what you have to have then you live with your choices. I'm living with mine. I sacrificed the super cameras for functionality where it matters. I have 512gb internal and 1tb TF card that's pretty fast. It's a Samsung high speed card that's specifically for media such as videos and music. I don't see much difference in loading times as when the files are on the phones internal memory. That's my observation, you can listen to the hype over speed if you see that much of a difference. If we were machines that processed data at speeds beyond comprehension then it would be a different story but we aren't. We're people and if small fractions of a second are going to make that much of a difference, you have more issues than limited internal storage space on your phone. My pictures aren't great and they take a tenth of a second longer to load but I have no storage issues and I can plug wired audio devices in to it which is far more important to me and I don't complain about the photos and videos because... Wait for it. They make really nice cameras that don't have phones on them that blow cell phone cameras away and once you get one, if you buy a good one and take care of it, you won't have to replace it because the security crap on it isn't supported after a year forcing you to replace it. That is all.
Dude you keep saying "you" in your post, but you're the one with the problem of limiting yourself to choices by staying stuck in the old ways and refusing to adapt with new technical fears: fear 1; using ALL THAT STORAGE You on in HDD, SSD, NVMe and whatever else to make a OpenMediaVault or JellyFin or other personal Linux home ran cloud server, feat 2; using something like the new SSD/NVMe USB c attachable hard drives and adapters to iPhones or other smartphones, feat 3; using OTG USB storage OTG is a thing and has come a long ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 10, 2024
Umm, whut? It works for me. I'm not a data transfer rate weenie. I like to have more than enough storage for whatever I may want to use it for and I'm not concerned with redundant numbers concerning how fast the data can go from one place to another. It's either a real quick transfer and I'm done with it, or it's going to take a few so I stop the power saving mode so it will complete while I do other things. Pretty simple. And I still use RAID arrays for the drives too. What's it matter to you? Did my post strike a nerve? That's too bad, it wasn't intentional, I swear. I was only trying to explain that 128gb is enough for a specific use device. If you wish to have a media oriented device you'll need more but in having that, there's a trade off. The phone manufacturer's make sure of that. I gave an example of how that works from my standpoint and gave examples of ways to prioritize needs and supplement what one must sacrifice with secondary devices and solutions to the dilemma which was presented by the OP. I don't see how that warrants whatever gibberish you attached to the end of my quoted text. All I got out of it was that you didn't care much for what I said and that it seems as though you were upset when you typed it. If I'm off in that assumption, I apologize but still have no idea what it is you're trying to say or why you would so it has no effect on my choices. What you do is your choice but it's not what I do and when I don't understand what's being put forth, it's completely useless to me.
And as far as my use of the word "you", I use pronouns loosely and do not attach them. That's just plain modern nonsense. Any time a site or any other application starts asking about my pronouns, I immediately back out and walk away because I'll have no part of that kind of madness. You all can keep that stuff between yourselves, thanks...

Sep 10, 2024
Dude you keep saying "you" in your post, but you're the one with the problem of limiting yourself to choices by staying stuck in the old ways and refusing to adapt with new technical fears: fear 1; using ALL THAT STORAGE You on in HDD, SSD, NVMe and whatever else to make a OpenMediaVault or JellyFin or other personal Linux home ran cloud server, feat 2; using something like the new SSD/NVMe USB c attachable hard drives and adapters to iPhones or other smartphones, feat 3; using OTG USB storage OTG is a thing and has come a long ways.
OK, so I looked up OTG and although I didn't know what it stood for, upon looking it up, it's been what I've been using since I got my most recent laptop with a USB-C high speed port with charge support. I got this laptop in early 2020.

So I have a 4tb Seagate 7200 rpm 3.5" HDD, a 2tb Seagate 7200 rpm 2.5" HDD, a 1tb Seagate 5500 rpm 2.5" HDD, and a 512gb Seagate 5500 rpm on an external RAID array. All those drives came out of old PCs of mine that I got new. I have a 1tb PCIe NVMe SSD in an external USB-C enclosure which I use to dump media from my phone onto and then put it on the storage drives on the array which I have on my home network as well as a 500gb USB storage drive set up as a media server which I can access remotely with my phone or laptop. I run a VPN on my router as well as my phone and laptop for when I'm on public networks. I have 1tb PCIe NVMe SSD and 2tb SATA III 2.5" SSD in my laptop and as I mentioned previously 512gb internal storage and 1tb Samsung EVO Select TF card in my phone. I haven't even come close to having any storage issues and that's exactly how I want it.

I do not and will not ever trust my data to a 3rd party cloud "solution" because of past experience with data loss and corruption which doesn't happen when I keep my data stored locally and if it were to happen, I would have no one to blame or be upset with besides myself. That is the reason I decided to set this up in the first place. I figured out how to do it on my own with no previous network or professional IT experience so I feel I did ok considering and so far have had good results so I plan on sticking with it.

Nov 21, 2023
Exactly OTG has come a really long ways, ironically I'm considering an iPhone because of the clicks keyboard, been an android user since cupcake, but in fact SanDisk has new Gen SSD USB c's for iPhone. So we should embrace technology and adapt with it, especially in the IT Field, I always test and try the new Windows releases, so when my customers come to me with problems I am more familiar with their issues. Stay on the cutting edge or end up on the cutting block.