Iwata Offers Glimpse into 3DS Distribution Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Who cares about the retail stores? Gamestop has extorted enough money with their various schemes. They'd be heartbroken if they couldn't buy a game for 5 dollars, repackage it, and resale it as new for 60.
As far as piracy goes, good luck with that Nintendo. Anything you construct, a pirate can deconstruct. It's only a matter of difficulty level and incentive. Digital Distribution (without SD) can make it more difficult to pirate, considering there's less input/output to a computer friendly format. The convenience can also reduce incentive to pirate.

DD only is the way to go.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Everyone wins except those with terrible Internet. Not everyone wants to be downloading all their games with no alternate option. Not to mention, the 'push' idea is also terrible for people with bad Internet connections. So they can't control when suddenly their 3DS starts sucking down all the bandwidth? What about people with bandwidth caps?

prrrowr

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Sounds like the traditional DS game cart no longer stores a full game but the wifi download 'rights' to a game torrent which will then be stuffed into a user's 3DS internal storage. But doesn't that mean you have to wait overnight post-purchase to play your game?

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]prrrowr[/nom]Sounds like the traditional DS game cart no longer stores a full game but the wifi download 'rights' to a game torrent which will then be stuffed into a user's 3DS internal storage. But doesn't that mean you have to wait overnight post-purchase to play your game?[/citation]
That's an interesting interpretation... Though I'd heavily doubt that sort of idea. Given that the cost of ROM is spiraling ever-downward, I wouldn't be surprised if $5 could readily produce a 1-2GB ROM cartridge; after all, that's about the price to manufacture said space in NAND flash.

Rather, the only elegant use of this I could see is, perhaps, auto-downloading of new content/patches, akin to an "automatic update." Given how costly in bandwidth it could be for Nintendo, I don't see them pushing all-new content a lot; perhaps a few experiments (read: market tests) might try that to push a small demo out to all/a lot of users, but I'd be surprised if this was more than a semi-rare occurence. There's little reason NOT to include all the data on the cartridges themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.