Jailbreaking Phones Could Become Illegal Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

g4114rd0

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Retro end away, the white Dragon will be useful when is useless.
Enough of this, they almost become the description of old age.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Consoles I can see not being allowed, since modifying them can cause them to no longer work on the networks or allow cheats, but smartphones and tablets? Jailbreaking or rooting those do not cause any problems it just allows full usage of the devices that I paid for. I don't see how those might not be allowed, the modifying of them won't allow you to make calls for free, it won't allow you to do anything illegal, it won't do anything but let you fully use the device you paid a ton of money for.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Glad I live in the EU where jailbreaking is simply legal, forever and the PTB still choose the side of the people once in a while. Who do these corporations think they are when they want to make something that doesn't violate copyright and is entirely victimless illegal?

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
How would they enforce this?

You made your iPhone dock have 1 extra Icon in the Dock than it shipped with. YOU ARE GOING TO JAIL!!!!......???

You added the DATE AND AVAILABLE RAM to your status bar, without our permission. YOU ARE GOING TO JAIL!!!!!.....?????

You made your iPhone Icons look prettier than the ones we put in it - YOU ARE GOING TO JAIL!!!!!!.....????

What a freaking joke. I mean seriously... how is this even remotely illegal?

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]Consoles I can see not being allowed, since modifying them can cause them to no longer work on the networks or allow cheats[/citation]

Even so, their should be no law against it. It's not congress's job to stop cheating in online games, a simple ban by whoever hosts the server should suffice.

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
The real question is this.... what makes our government think they have the authority to make laws regarding this issue? I don't recall the section of the Constitution on jailbreaking your smartphone.

johnb0118

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
I view iPhones, iPads, Android devices and gaming consoles the same way I view my computer. They're computers! If I buy a Dell or an HP and decide to put ubuntu on it, they don't come knocking on my door with a violation and arrest warrant. All of these devices are computers. Simply put. To restrict these devices is like restricting your PC. Ludicrous.

jlats26

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Not only do we need to think about the end users who pay a large premium for the device and should ultimately have the freedom to do whatever they want with it, within the realms of the law.

Amen.

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
What about companies that release official unlock codes for their devices like Asus and HTC? These companies understand that the trend of unlocking your device has traction and is growing. Companies that support it's own growth survive.

ArgleBargle

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
Oh good. My iPad's Notes application spontaneously lost all my data. I had to restore the notes from a backup, but the two latest games that I bought were *not* backed up, and Apple says I have to buy them again! Ohhhh, THAT'S OKAY! BUT DON'T YOU DARE JAILBREAK YOUR OWN PHONE! Scumbag Apple.

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
And this is a very big reason why I've refrained from buying any of the new tech devices, because I'm limited in how I can modify them and/or interface them with my already-existing tech.

My old Palm T|X is still working and does what I need it to do. Hopefully it will continue to do so until I find something to replace it that would satisfy my needs and desires.

G

These devices are COMPUTERS, regardless of what people may think of them as. They have all the essentials of computers.. Processor, memory, storage, communications, operating system, programs, and user interface. Just because they happen to have cellular capabilities is not a determining factor. Even some laptops have cellular antenna built-in, and no one is suggesting that a laptop computer be restricted as to reloading your OS or programs on there. In fact, it's expected that many personal computers out there WILL be upgraded over time.

Why is the cellphone/tablet market expecting something so different from us?

aion_w

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
People are making it as a living cause we all want to live or at least try to, Im wondering why does the law always protect some rich morons that does not even know how to use a great amount of electronic devices? Its like who wants to go school with a proper uniform? everyone wants to dress/wear normal clothes cause its fancy....Correct me if im wrong people...

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]ArgleBargle[/nom]Oh good. My iPad's Notes application spontaneously lost all my data. I had to restore the notes from a backup, but the two latest games that I bought were *not* backed up, and Apple says I have to buy them again! Ohhhh, THAT'S OKAY! BUT DON'T YOU DARE JAILBREAK YOUR OWN PHONE! Scumbag Apple.[/citation]

If you re-buy games you already own, you don't get charged.

And this article isn't about Apple, it includes Android.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
"Apple, a public advocate which strives to keep a closed, secure platform, wasn't keen on the ruling..."

No,

"Apple, a public advocate which strives to keep a closed, CLOSED platform, wasn't keen on the ruling..."

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
[citation][nom]rawful[/nom]The real question is this.... what makes our government think they have the authority to make laws regarding this issue? I don't recall the section of the Constitution on jailbreaking your smartphone.[/citation]

Fail argument. Congress has the power to do anything that does not directly infringe upon states rights or directly go against Section 9 of the US Constituion. If the constituion was meant to be strictly interpreted, Section 9 would be totally irrelevent.

Example:, the Constitution gives Congress the right to organize/fund an Army and Navy, but doesn't say a word about an Air Force. So the USAF is therefore CLEARLY unconsititonal. But for some reason, strict constructionists have a fit whenever this point is brought up...

Hence why strct interpretation is fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.