Jailbroken IPad as replacement laptop?

Alex6534

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
Hey folks, just built myself a medium build hackintosh by selling my laptop and now on the lookout for a versatile portable solution so that I can:

A) Work on uni/analysis reports on the go.
B) Work on any web development stuff (general coding/Joomla)
C) Read my ebooks
D) Still have access to some design tools (Adobe apps?)

There are other reasons why I'm looking at an IPad (I'm in some function groups and there are some very good apps for a portable guitar rig on the market). However mostly I need something that is versatile as a laptop and a tablet. I'm a student/part time system/business analyst and web developer so have quite a few tools I need access to. The majority of other options seem too expensive and not as practical, I plan on using a wi-fi hard drive as expandable storage hence why I want the IPad jailbroken for file management.

Would an IPad 3 suit my needs? Or would you recommend the IPad air? I'm going for the 16gb model, the mini isn't ideal for me as I'm visually impaired and a larger screen is very beneficial. Really just looking for everyone's thought on this?

tl;dr, jailbroken IPad 3/Air for laptop replacement.

Cheers guys!

Kojitsari

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
The ipad air is not jailbreakable yet, not sure if the 3 is.....actually every ipad besides first gen on ios above 6.2.1 will not be jailbreakable yet. So If that's the route you want to go, I'd wait a few months and check and see if the Evad3rs have released a jailbreak for ios 7.x.x yet or go with an older ipad. There are usually good deals on like new ipads running a jailbreakalbe ios with 32gb, 64gb, maybe a few 128gb's of storage on craigslist.

Georgehillier

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
I have an iPad and have jailbroken it once before, although it's useful for some applications, it probably won't be any good for Web development. If I were you I'd stick to a laptop/desktop for the things you want to do.
Also, don't get the 3, it's best to get the air. And I would recommend a 32gb version as you lose about 5gb to ios, so it'd only be around 11gb.

Alex6534

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
From what I've saw iOS 7 can be jail broken just not the newest update .04 I think. With web development all I need is a code editor which there are some of. my desktop would be my main workhorse with this being an on the go application only. Appreciate everyone's comments so far.

Alex6534

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
Also this will primarily be used for uni work on the go/lecture notes, nothing really that serious. I need it to be light and portable as well, I know that with the camera connection kit I can use SD cards or wi-fi hard drives with ifile so storage isn't an issue. I've found a few IPad 3s that are jailbroken going for between £200-£280 and £300 is really the max I can go for at the minute.

Other options are finance from Apple for the IPad, but then I may as well go for the new Macbook Air haha..

Kojitsari

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
I don't know where you're finding these jailbroken ipads, and ios 7 jailbreak news.....No jailbreak has come from the only reliable jailbreak team out there yet. Most likely these supposedly jailbroken on ios7 ipads are just running shell apps to look like a jailbreak that are actually filled with malware. It happens in the month or two before each major jailbreak. Until you see the Evad3rs confirming there is a jailbreak release, they tend to do so on twitter, don't believe it. Side note every jailbreak will be free, if you're paying for it it's a load of crap.

D1vad

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
Any iPad that you need to reset will no longer be jailbroken, other than perhaps the original iPad. Any *new* iPad from Apple and most likely any refurbished iPad is unlikely to have an iOS in it that you can jailbreak at this point. New laws passed makes it a crime now to jailbreak an iPad, unlike an iPhone... If you've never used a jailbroken iPad assume it's just a question of time before your iPad needs to be reset, and that forces an iOS upgrade.

Apple keeps making it harder and harder to jailbreak, as they become more and more like what they have always claimed Microsoft was.