Japan Refuses to Approve PSN Restoration

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]enraged[/nom]The construction industry is bankrupting Japan. The nuclear industry is endangering Japan. The food industry is mislabeling and stealing from the people every chance they get. But the gov't goes after Sony! The J-gov't is the biggest bunch of scumbags in the world.[/citation]
Think so. I'll envite you to come to Belgium >:->

G

I am an American in Japan so in my case my information is already online with the us server but I cannot login because Japan has firewalled the server that I have to route through. This isn't helping me at all by not being online. I wish they would just solve this debacle.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]alhanelem[/nom]cmon Sony, you stuffed up the world not just north america![/citation]

Odd, it didn't affect me at all...

nexus9113

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2011-05/playstation-network-hackers-used-amazons-cloud-services-launch-their-attack-report-says

So Sony has to say it can protect itself from a brute force attack from a dedicated processing farm that has already been criticized several times by folks since Amazon's service is like giving a battleship to hackers since they can utilize their time however they want.

It was not their fault that this happened, they utilized the industry standard in security, which is very high, and it was overwhelmed by an extraordinary measure (typically botnets which are responsible for most high profile attacks don't have the processing power for a brute force measure against a company this large) which allowed data to be siphoned off.

I am by no means a Sony fanboy, the only product I have of theirs is a PSP, but I believe they acted as swiftly and responsibly as they could. As far as people giving them crap about "it took them 9 days to tell us CC info may have been stolen", let me put it this way, when your anti-virus tells you there is an intrusion, and depending on the software, kills your connection, do you know right away what was compromised? No. Because it is almost impossible to know right away excactly all the data that was affected. Sony's security probably detected an intrusion, and instead of deliberating whether or not it was a big deal, hit the kill switch, as that is the safest thing to do, and then figured out what happened.

I'm honestly surprised they figured out what was taken within nine days, because the information was more then likely copied off of the servers, not removed, to make it less obvious, which means they'd have to check file access logs, and being a large international company I'm sure lots of systems and users access those files all the time, and being that the connection was made behind a proxy (and probably spoofed ips) it would have been even more difficult to determine who is or isn't authorized to connect.

They've made a very generous compensation to the end users of PSN as the service for them is free and as such the level of service agreement says its not guaranteed to be up 24/7 and nothing was actually owed to them, to those credit card numbers that were lost (which was 12 million as not every PSN account has CC attached to it) everyone was guaranteed a liability plan of up to 1 million for any losses, and Playstation+ users were compensated for time lost, which is perfectly fair.

G

Last night, while playing GT5 online. we got a message "Hacking...", then a couple minutes more, "Installing Virus..."

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]To ask Sony to prevent it from happening again is for the [Japanese] government to abdicate its responsibility to deter, prevent, and/or punish CRIME. Only when the perpetrators (no matter who or where they are) of this sort of cracking can be certain they WILL be caught, they WILL be found guilty, and they WILL be put down, is there any hope of this sort of game-playing coming to an end; i.e. I'm not holding my breath.[/citation]

People like you have no clue how cybercrime works. This isn't just as simple as tracing an IP address. These people use complicated proxies and botnets to cover their tracks and pass the blame onto others whenever possible. Even when they find the real source, there's no guarantee that IP isn't an innocent person who's network was being leeched. Even if they managed to take out one hacker, that's really like claiming the war on terror or drugs is over because you captured one terrorist or drug dealer. There's plenty more out there to take their place, and the rest will likely seek revenge.

Seriously, you blame Japan for wanting their people to be protected, to want answers? At least that country doesn't roll over for any corporation's whims. Sony SHOULD have to explain themselves, their networks were not secured. Hacking happens, but Sony wasn't ready for it to happen. I know this because they had to "improve" security, they had to make NEW positions for security analysts. They should have had that improved security to begin with, that security staff should have been there to begin with, they were responsible for millions of people's personal and banking info. This doesn't even cover the possibility of Sony saving CVV numbers which no professional business would ever do.

Sony has always shown arrogance towards their customers. They strip away advertised features because of their own security flaws, they release flawed hardware in their new systems and shrug it off as if it was expected, many of their other products are overpriced rebrands of cheaper products. They rely completely on their brand name to take advantage of uninformed customers, so it would be no surprise if they chose not to protect your info and gave you a few shiny trinkets to cover up for the potential fraud you'll deal with for life. They assume you'll buy their products anyway, because it's a SONY product.

These numbers haven't been used yet because the criminals are waiting for the heat on them to die off. The easiest way to catch them will be tracing the credit cards, not the IP address. But with so many people more concerned about playing PSN rather than the potential fraud, I've really got to wonder how many have changed their card info, how many of them realize the damage credit card fraud can do to their credit for life? How many of them are teenagers using their parent's credit card, and they didn't bother to mention this incident? They won't even know why fraudulent charges are popping up in a year, so it's possible no one will ever be connected with the PSN incident.

G

So, Japan, about those Nuclear reactors...

What are the plans to stop *that* happening again?

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]alexkitch[/nom]So, Japan, about those Nuclear reactors...What are the plans to stop *that* happening again?[/citation]

The retards are out in full force today!

redgarl

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Seriously, after attempting to restore my 2 PSN account for the last 3 days, I must say that Sony is really dump...

Do you know what they are asking you if you want to change your password...? Your date of birth >:/...

You really learned well Sony, keep up being idiots...

Well, now I don't trust them anymore... and I hate them... but I hate even more the hackers that didn't care about the damn customers and screwed us while saying they were representing the us,... The customers... bunch of idiots... 2+2 = 5...

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Am I the only one who actually agrees with the Japanese government? Who really cares if I can play some stupid game with some dude from Mexico, is my credit card information safe? That's what I care about and the fact that the US and EU haven't done anything to correct the situation. The US could at least say something to the extent of "hey Sony we have a few million people in the US who put their personal info into your hands and we would sorta like to know what you're doing about that breach of yours..." but they haven't done anything- it's nice to know that the Japanese government actually cares about the well being of it's people, unlike the US and EU who just let the huge corporations do what they want.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]slyphnier[/nom]Well in japan, many things just different from the rest of the worldPeople in there can wait (have more patient) for something with qualitywhile the rest of the world, not rarely we see people just want to get things instantly and dont care about the quality as long it works and got "warranty" from the maker/manufactureBecause that, we all know japanese product have good trust from consumer, in IT sector like Japanese Capacitor, Made in Japan things usually make us things that us higher grade/quality than others.[/citation]

This. Precisely.

The Japanese government (and society) cares much about responsibility and how to prevent similar situations from occurring again. This is ingrained into you as a child - myself included. Asking for a clear answer, even if it means halting a service, is the norm.

Personally I'd be happier knowing that the government actually cares about the safety - and real safety, not like the sham that the US government made out of Toyota when in reality it was pretty much driver error.

G

I think we should be given the option whether or not we go back online again... especially since North America, Australia, Europe are already up and running... I don't have to use the PS store, I just want to be able to game with my friends something I have not been able to do now for 40 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.