Japanese PS Vita Sales Continue to Set Record Lows

Status
Not open for further replies.

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Its sad really, This will only hurt the industry. Whats really needed is a custom firmware that will unlock its full potential. That'll get hardware sales on the go, they can patch it later. A fully unlocked quad core handheld is a emulators dream.

monsta

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Its a shame cos its a good handheld....I see Sony having a moment of karma here after it sent Sega into the ground

Plasmid

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
[citation][nom]dormantreign[/nom]Its sad really, This will only hurt the industry. Whats really needed is a custom firmware that will unlock its full potential. That'll get hardware sales on the go, they can patch it later. A fully unlocked quad core handheld is a emulators dream.[/citation]

I'd buy it if it wasn't for the fact that it's locked and uses proprietary memory that is extremely expensive.

zulutech

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
[citation][nom]lpedraja2002[/nom]It's their own damn fault for making the unit and its hardware so expensive.[/citation]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it $300? My CPU in my desktop cost me $390... and that's just the cpu; and the cpu in the psvita is the most powerful of its class, quad core. The psvita should really cost more.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
one cannot blame the DS. One has to take a look at the influence of mobile games on cellphones and tablets. I think these things are influencing the handheld gaming market of PS portable/vita and future DS...

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]one cannot blame the DS. One has to take a look at the influence of mobile games on cellphones and tablets. I think these things are influencing the handheld gaming market of PS portable/vita and future DS...[/citation]
Angry Birds is not a replacement for any game that requires buttons to play. Phone games are time wasters for when there is time to waste. Until phones have proper controls, they will be irrelevant to anyone who wants to play real games.

G

I had the original PSP and there were just not enough games that kept me interested. I would rather use my PC or Xbox to play the "real games" or just use my smart phone to play games on the go.
Why get a PS Vita if I am happy with my iPhone games?

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
It's a pity that it's sales aren't good because it's a really good portable console. The problem is that nowadays most people want a tablet and play angry birds. Sad times for portable gaming.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]zulutech[/nom]Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it $300? My CPU in my desktop cost me $390... and that's just the cpu; and the cpu in the psvita is the most powerful of its class, quad core. The psvita should really cost more.[/citation]

Then you don't know how to buy technology. Even hardcore enthusiasts have a hard time recommending anything higher than a 2500K, and that runs for $200. Unless you're stupid, you're boosting.

You're also comparing mobile to desktop. $300 for hardware (with memory) is a serious chunk of change to have gaming on the go. It's a dangerous territory because the masses seem to be content with their phone, and why bother carrying extra devices around?

I like Sony stuff, but they're playing with fire. For the sake of technology I hope the Vita prevails though.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]zulutech[/nom]Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it $300? My CPU in my desktop cost me $390... and that's just the cpu; and the cpu in the psvita is the most powerful of its class, quad core. The psvita should really cost more.[/citation]

$300 plus $40 PER GAME (!) is a huge amount of money for a toy you are only going to be using when you are bored on the bus/train, etc.
Especially if you also have a smartphone with games costing practically nothing.

Add to that the small game library, low battery life and relatively large size (nothing you can keep in your pocket) and you have a device that nobody wants.

thezooloomaster

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
This is just Sony's fault for blind marketing idiocy. They have to move with the times. If Sony wants to regain control of the hand-held gaming market they better start making high quality Android smartphones. Otherwise it's bye-bye Sony...

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
no, they are subsidizing the cost of the handheld through memory.
-----------------------
all that said, in japan gaming is seen as a kids toy, not like it is seen in america, and the only reason people run out to get a hand held is because of killer software, something the psp struggled with and the vita is also struggling with.

from what i can see, the vita has no Japanese killer app.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Smartphone are partially at fault to kill this thing, but the real prob is Sony didnt realiaze the major drawback of playing games at smartphones,---->batterylife. Nobody want to play a few hours of gaming then to hook up with recharging battery.

Stuff this thing with 24hrs-2days gaming batterylife, plus a $5 for every AAA game. then u'll the sales goes up again.

zippyzion

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
People act like Sony gaming is all Sony has. Gaming is to Sony as cellphones are to Samsung. They make money but are such a small fraction that if they fail in it the company will not break. Sony can absorb a year or two of the general public being its trendy and retarded self. Look at the PS3. It sucked for a while but now it's a great console.

zippyzion

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Also this price everyone quotes is $300? You all do realize that there is a $250 version that is Wi-Fi only, right? If you say, have a phone with a hotspot app, or live anywhere near a coffee shop or some place with hotspot, you don't need 3G. That $50 will get you one of those expensive games or memory cards you are all on about.

Status
Not open for further replies.