John Carmack: Video Games Reduce Aggression

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Genny[/nom]It's not terribly difficult, regardless of occupation, to find and cite studies from those that are experts. Simply because he's not a psychologist or a sociologist (giggle) does not mean his conclusion is false. That's called an appeal to accomplishment.[/citation]
...meaning the accomplishment of an executive who derives his income and status from producing and promoting video games. There couldn't be a more biased input. As stated above, do you get your advice on the health benefits of McDonald's food from Ronald McDonald?

Genny

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]...meaning the accomplishment of an executive who derives his income and status from producing and promoting video games. There couldn't be a more biased input. As stated above, do you get your advice on the health benefits of McDonald's food from Ronald McDonald?[/citation]

So as someone that seeks the truth, you should take it on yourself to actually read the studies rather than assume someone is wrong because they're successful, no?

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]just on the title alone, it makes me think he never played a game that brick walled him. you know those missions, areas, that force a level grind or are unreasonably difficult and come out of nowhere?if anything they piss me off more than anything else. or a buggy game and you lose 3 hours of game because you were so absorbed in the game you forget to save, than it crashes.[/citation]

lol
One game boss that really tested my patience was the final boss in Half Life. That floating giant fetus almost made me smash my monitor. Frustrating as hell.

grechmarlon

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
More people have died from religions than from anything else...you don't see anyone whining about that now do you? Imo all this debate it pointless a hundred people died? who cares there are another 7 billion to take their place. Its about time people grow up and realize that there are bad people in the world and no matter what, they will do bad stuff. No need to blame games, drugs, gambling and such they are just bad.

Now excuse me while i go slaughter an army in crysis 2.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]grechmarlon[/nom]...it pointless a hundred people died? who cares there are another 7 billion to take their place.[/citation]
What a callus statement to make. You'd certainly care if it was you or one of your family members. Maybe you need to take a little time out for simulated killing and focus on your personal compassion for a while. Truly. This level of indifference is a sickness.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Genny[/nom]So as someone that seeks the truth, you should take it on yourself to actually read the studies rather than assume someone is wrong because they're successful, no?[/citation]
The point I was making is contained in the sentences I posted, not some other subject which you introduced that you find easy to criticize. I made no assumption of truth or non-truth. I referred to the inherent bias of the source, making the assertion nonobjective.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]thrasher32[/nom]I didn't know John Cramack was a sociologis or behaviorial scientist. It's kinda like Ronald McDonald telling us that hamburgers and french fries dont' cause obesity.[/citation]
I'm still trying to figure out exactly why anyone cares what this idiot has to say.... If you really want to see how intelligent this idiot is...read this statement:

"And he was just mesmerized watching this. And I realized that we had reached a point now where we were reaching beyond the self-selected geeky gamer-type audience that used to be all that there was."
So, prior to DOOM being release, every "gamer" was "geeky?" Proof of pure stupidity there...

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
The violence situation is somewhat an analog to pressure/temperature models. If you compress gas molecules together (increased population density) the temperature (violence) increases. Other variables certainly apply (e.g., specific socialization influences) in the real world. However, I've noticed that any potential affect game or TV violence has had on me is well offset by the de-pressurization created by being able to tune out the rest of the world in my own comfortable environment and blow off externally created frustrations into a harmless fantasy.

Those over-emphasizing the negatives, clearly have their own agenda... perhaps seeking to seem important as end unto itself.

abdussamad

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Video games are used by the US army to recruit soldiers who end up killing people in real life.

These days operating remote drones is like playing video games anyway. So you don't care if you end up killing civilians because its just a game to you.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]Genny[/nom]People are so lazy these days. You must play too many video games. Right?Human Communication ResearchVolume 27, Issue 3, pages 409–431, July 2001The effects of violent video games on aggression.A meta-analysisJL SherryViolent content video games such as Mortal Kombat and Doom have become very popular among children and adolescents, causing great concern for parents, teachers, and policy makers. This study cumulates findings across existing empirical research on the effects of violent video games to estimate overall effect size and discern important trends and moderating variables. Results suggest there is a smaller effect of violent video games on aggression than has been found with television violence on aggression. This effect is positively associated with type of game violence and negatively related to time spent playing the games. Directions for future programmatic research on video games are outlined.[/citation]
IMHO, the polite way is to up front cite research; otherwise, it is not considered scholarly. My apologies for being a prig, but since Carmack has a non-biased interest in this, IMHO, he should spout the name of the paper at least, or the names of the researchers; otherwise, he could be considered biased. Not everyone has the time to research this even if it is easily found. IMHO, the burden of proof is on Carmack.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]thrasher32[/nom]I didn't know John Cramack was a sociologis or behaviorial scientist. It's kinda like Ronald McDonald telling us that hamburgers and french fries dont' cause obesity.[/citation]
They don't cause obesity, of course if my non-stop metabolism ever gives out on me.....

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]...meaning the accomplishment of an executive who derives his income and status from producing and promoting video games. There couldn't be a more biased input. As stated above, do you get your advice on the health benefits of McDonald's food from Ronald McDonald?[/citation]
Bias does not automatically prove someone wrong.
Is it possible to convict someone of rape if the victim is also a hooker? Absolutely, already happened.

Carmack is obviously going to say video games don't cause violence, but other that point fingers none of you has provided a shred of proof to counter his argument, even in the face of other non-bias research that shows it might actually be beneficial.

But don't take anyones word for it, just bottle up your feelings and if it all gets too much to cope with just make sure you stay away from guns and sharp objects.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
But of it only goes as far as to say, as long as the game works though.

If something isnt working and its supports violence, more then likely will get a violent outcome.

But to say winning is always working, is speculative and subjective.

Glitches, bugs, and the like, usually are any sources of maybe issues, but of it though, is why those are there sometimes.

But still. Of what is where say any part of say would be for the fact of it at all times. For there are many things to say. For whatever reasons.

To say thought goes into things said is subjective and speculative of course, but still.

But to say Video games dont do as said, is hard saying though, yes?

But usually though on arguement of something that doesnt work, you go away from it yes?

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Abdussamad[/nom]Video games are used by the US army to recruit soldiers who end up killing people in real life.These days operating remote drones is like playing video games anyway. So you don't care if you end up killing civilians because its just a game to you.[/citation]

As in real life , even in a video game, theres only to a point of control before there is none for what it was.

Actually though to be honest at times, due to the issue , the Army is actually, well Armed Forces, to refrain from recruitment of those who play video games alot for some reason.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]GNCD[/nom]lolOne game boss that really tested my patience was the final boss in Half Life. That floating giant fetus almost made me smash my monitor. Frustrating as hell.[/citation]

that one isnt so bad.

when i wrote that i was thinking of grand theft auto 4. im not even 1/4 the way through it, but they gave me a mission that is impossible, or at least as close to impossible as you can get. the problem is that nothing up till this mission was hard, there was no progressively more difficult areas, it was skipping through a grassy meadow, than suddenly im on a ledge and have to jump 20 feet across without hitting the lava at the bottom, and look here, there is a bear with rabies comeing up behind me...

i DESPISE games that have difficultie hikes like that. it ruins the pacing of the game and my fun. i mean i can see it being ok if s*** was leading up to i t was hard... but damn...

Status
Not open for further replies.