Judge: Code Can't Be Stolen Because It Isn't Property

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]joe44994422[/nom]People need to stop being so linear in their thinking and realize that virtual theft is theft all the same as phsyical theft.[/citation]
You're missing the main reason people are behind this: A large segment of the population wants to justify their stealing of copyrighted music and movies, hiding behind nonsense excuses like this one, "it's not the legal definition of theft", or "it's too expensive", or "those 'fat cats' make too much money", etc. It's just guilty justification.

G

I suggest to those that think this gives them a license to "obtain" what ever media they desire as long as it's in digital form, should reread the article and read the WHOLE reason for the judges decision. This decision doesn't void copyright and the idea of Intellectual Property. Do so only should your desire to stay ignorant and idiotic.

sirencall

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Here is the thing, he is innocent by the definition of the law. He has not deprived the owners the use of their code nor did he cause them any financial harm since the code was not being sold in any form. For example, if you paid me to build you a custom hotrod for your own enjoyment and I build an exact replica of the one I built for you for my own enjoyment than there is no theft. This does not apply to games or music because they are being sold, and so long as they are being sold they are protected. This could be expanded to include those things but it depends on how the judges explain their ruling but Im pretty sure the commerce act still covers this. Also that act is what appearantly allows the government to tax you though it is technically not constitutional. Look it up, you dont actually have to pay taxes but i wouldnt advise it lol. So everyone should not get too worked up over this

gg123

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]Intellectual property is not a fraud.[/citation]
It is. It did not arise from nature, it arose from government edict.
The first time in History where intellectual "property" was used was to "protect" by force food recipes only 6 centuries BC ago.

How silly is that ?

[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]This is no different than music or books. If you copy someone else's term paper and turn it in as your own for a class, that's plagiarism and you can, and should, be expelled. No actual physical paper was stolen, but you misrepresented the ideas on that paper as your own.What this employee did was accept payment for a company to create something, which he did. That something belongs to the company that paid for it.[/citation]
What is wrong here is that, in both cases, the student and the employee have broken an agreement, they have broken their contract.
So yes, the student should be expelled and the employee fired.

[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]If an employer can not own what is created by people they hire to create for them, they will simply stop paying people to make things, which, in case you do not understand, means they stop hiring people.[/citation]
If you want to protect an idea, you make it a secret.
If this secret is revealed then you have to blame the person who broke his contract or used fraud to acquire it. Not the guy who did not enter in any agreement whatsoever and who only uses an idea that is now known to all.

[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]
This mentality of "I am entitled to use what anyone else has or comes up with" is one of the propblems our society and culture has today.[/citation]
No the main problem is that like everybody who defends the IP fraud, you do not understand what property is, and moreover why the idea of ownership arose long before governments even existed.

The thing is that you make no difference between what is scarce (a bike) and what is not (an idea).
Things that are scarce can not be used by everybody at the same time (a bike) or can only be used/consumed a couple of times or only once (an apple).
Of course it is easy to imagine two individuals fighting over who is going to ride the bike or who is gonna eat the apple.

So in order to avoid conflicts, smart individuals came up with an idea. They came up with the idea that the one who should have the right to choose what to do with the bike or the apple, the owner, should be the one who transform those scarce resources around him and uses his intellect and energy to create that bike, or the one who first found the apple tree or who planted the apple tree in order to be able to consume its fruits.

But how on earth can someone be the owner of a food recipe, a music tune or a story ? Just because government says so ?

- Why should government forbid me to use my own property to make a chocolate cake now that the recipe is known to all ? What crime would I be making ? Who would be the victim ?
- And those artists who whine all the time about their music "being stolen" don't even realize that they themselves are using ideas from other/past musicians.
- And should I be able to sue Lady Gaga because the air waves created by the speakers of my neighbor are reaching my ears and I don't like it ? I should be if those sound waves are somehow her property.
- And do you think Shakespeare should have been sent to jail ?
After all even if he wrote some master pieces, he used the characters names and stories of other authors..

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]sirencall[/nom]Here is the thing, he is innocent by the definition of the law. He has not deprived the owners the use of their code nor did he cause them any financial harm since the code was not being sold in any form. For example, if you paid me to build you a custom hotrod for your own enjoyment and I build an exact replica of the one I built for you for my own enjoyment than there is no theft. This does not apply to games or music because they are being sold, and so long as they are being sold they are protected. This could be expanded to include those things but it depends on how the judges explain their ruling but Im pretty sure the commerce act still covers this. Also that act is what appearantly allows the government to tax you though it is technically not constitutional. Look it up, you dont actually have to pay taxes but i wouldnt advise it lol. So everyone should not get too worked up over this[/citation]
You're analogy is awful. You are comparing something not copyrighted, nor trademarked, to something that is.

A more proper analogy would be an engineer at Ford coming up with an idea for a new car, being paid by Ford for that idea, and then taking it to GM and letting them build it. That is most certainly theft.

This person admits he took proprietary information, the definition of proprietary meaning it belonged to the company. Just because he hadn't sold it (yet?) does not make it not theft.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]gg123[/nom]It is. It did not arise from nature, it arose from government edict.The first time in History where intellectual "property" was used was to "protect" by force food recipes only 6 centuries BC ago.How silly is that ?[/citation]
Does not matter when it was come up with. It came up to protect people's ideas so that people can feel safe and protected to come up with new ideas. If people feel like they have no protection over an idea, we stop progressing as society.
[citation]What is wrong here is that, in both cases, the student and the employee have broken an agreement, they have broken their contract.So yes, the student should be expelled and the employee fired.
If you want to protect an idea, you make it a secret.If this secret is revealed then you have to blame the person who broke his contract or used fraud to acquire it. Not the guy who did not enter in any agreement whatsoever and who only uses an idea that is now known to all. [/citation]
Except as an employee he DID enter into an agreement. All business where you are paid for a work, that works belongs to your employer. He even admits he took proprietary files, merely claiming it was accidental. Sorry, if it was truly accidental, he is seriously incompetent.
[citation]No the main problem is that like everybody who defends the IP fraud, you do not understand what property is, and moreover why the idea of ownership arose long before governments even existed.The thing is that you make no difference between what is scarce (a bike) and what is not (an idea).Things that are scarce can not be used by everybody at the same time (a bike) or can only be used/consumed a couple of times or only once (an apple).Of course it is easy to imagine two individuals fighting over who is going to ride the bike or who is gonna eat the apple.So in order to avoid conflicts, smart individuals came up with an idea. They came up with the idea that the one who should have the right to choose what to do with the bike or the apple, the owner, should be the one who transform those scarce resources around him and uses his intellect and energy to create that bike, or the one who first found the apple tree or who planted the apple tree in order to be able to consume its fruits.But how on earth can someone be the owner of a food recipe, a music tune or a story ? Just because government says so ?- Why should government forbid me to use my own property to make a chocolate cake now that the recipe is known to all ? What crime would I be making ? Who would be the victim ?- And those artists who whine all the time about their music "being stolen" don't even realize that they themselves are using ideas from other/past musicians.- And should I be able to sue Lady Gaga because the air waves created by the speakers of my neighbor are reaching my ears and I don't like it ? I should be if those sound waves are somehow her property.- And do you think Shakespeare should have been sent to jail ? After all even if he wrote some master pieces, he used the characters names and stories of other authors..[/citation]
All you are doing is making excuses why you can use someone else's work. You are a thief and I would never employ you because you would think that even though I paid you to do a job, you could take the results and do with as you wished. If enough people think the way you do everything ends.

Look at pharmaceutical companies. Back during the Anthrax scares the Canadian government allowed their phamaceutical companies to violate someone else's patents. They stole nothing physical, merely the ideas. But the company who held the patents has spend hundreds of millions of dollars in research over many years to come up with it. As a result, they didn't make back their money. This provides incentives for pharmaceutical companies NOT to research new drugs. Why should they if their ideas are not protected and they can't make back what they invested and time to make a profit so it's worth their while?

And your analogies are so ridiculous as to be laughable. They aren't even direct anaolgies. But the cake recipe anaology does bring up an interesting point. Look at KFC, their secret recipe is trademarked and held under tight security. If someone were to get it and distribute it, one would hope the person would be thrown in jail.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]4745454b[/nom]I don't see how this doesn't apply to downloading media files. Code is code. Whether it controls bank software, puts noises on my speakers, or images on my screen I don't see why stealing one is ok while the other two aren't. Other then of course Goldman Sachs didn't donate enough money.[/citation]

Media files aren't code, they are copyrighted pieces of art.

[citation][nom]wmalinowski[/nom]It does not matter the code is sold or not. The code was to be used internal by GS (which would classify as private property ). This guy took the code without authorization by GS. That my definition of a thief. Off with the hands....[/citation]

If the code isn't copyrighted, then GS has no legal claims over it at all. Some other company can swoop in (or this *thief*) and copyright it and then it belongs to them if the copyright goes through (wouldn't surprise me at all if it did).

[citation][nom]gg123[/nom]Of course "intellectual property" is a fraud. At the beginning it was called "privileges" or "monopolies" etc, it is a creation of the State.Indeed you can't own an idea or series of electrical signals 100110 etc. so there's no crime in downloading stuff from the Internet or trying to copy a recipe you've seen on TV.However stealing a DVD is theft for the obvious reason that it is a scarce resource and that by doing so, the legitimate owner of the DVD will have no DVD left.But the problem here is that this employee broke his contract.I guess he had agreed not to make this knowledge/idea/code public and only to use it while working for Goldman Sachs.So he has broken an agreement and Goldman Sachs has the right to demand reparation.(Although some might that argue that Goldman Sachs does not deserve anymore money since it is actively participating in robbing and enslaving the taxpayers of this planet but... that was not the point I wanted to make)[/citation]

You're completely wrong. I can own a digital copy of 0s and 1s just as much as I could own a hard copy of them on paper. Software can be copyrighted. Digital media can be copyrighted. Some things relevant to either can be patented or also copyrighted (such as a framework or a specific method for creating them).

[citation][nom]phamhlam[/nom]These codes wern't sold and didn't constitute of interstate commerce. A movie or music is interstate commerce and thus you can be charge with pirating. That is why it is a federal crime.[/citation]

That's another part of it too, excellent explanation there.

[citation][nom]gzhang[/nom]So mp3s are just a bunch of bits and bytes and are not properties either, and people can copy them for free?Also, "The ruling also addresses an argument by the government which claims that code is considered physical property and covered under a 1988 amendment to the NSPA", so the judges "re-interpreted" (created) law to fit this case, in a sense judges have openly changed the law congress made![/citation]

You misread the article. Reading comprehension, you should work on it.

[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]Intellectual property is not a fraud. This is no different than music or books. If you copy someone else's term paper and turn it in as your own for a class, that's plagiarism and you can, and should, be expelled. No actual physical paper was stolen, but you misrepresented the ideas on that paper as your own.What this employee did was accept payment for a company to create something, which he did. That something belongs to the company that paid for it. If an employer can not own what is created by people they hire to create for them, they will simply stop paying people to make things, which, in case you do not understand, means they stop hiring people.This mentality of "I am entitled to use what anyone else has or comes up with" is one of the propblems our society and culture has today. If this person wanted to retain rights to the software he made, he should have come up with it using his own resources, not take money from someone else to make it.[/citation]

The reason that GS lost is because they were stupid about this and didn't make sure that they were protected under law like any smart company should. They failed to use the software in the proper way and are paying the price for it. This guy wrote the software and then took it. Had the software, as the article stated, been used/intended for the proper context, then GS would have won. Had GS bothered to copyright this software, then they would have won. GS is jsut as much at fault for this mess as the thief himself because they are the ones who so stupidly gave him the legal opportunity to take the code.

[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]Yeah that's one of the most dangerous parts of it. The courts have for years been more and more making law and that is blatantly unconstitutional. All they can do is rule whether or not a law is constitutional or not, they can not change the law.[/citation]

What the judges did was not change the law despite it seemingly needing updating. The law was on their side. Again, reading comprehension.

The ruling also addresses an argument by the government which claims that code is considered physical property and covered under a 1988 amendment to the NSPA. Prosecutors insisted that the amendment reflected an intent by Congress to include non-physical forms of property in the law such as Aleynikov’s theft of the source code. But the judges denied the claim, stating that the 24-year-old amendment referred to the transfer and transmission of money.

"We decline to stretch or update statutory words of plain and ordinary meaning in order to better accommodate the digital age," the judges wrote.

Circuit Judge Guido Calabresi, who agreed with the majority opinion and the way the judges had reached it, said Aleynikov would not have gotten off if the EEA had been better written. “[It] is hard for me to conclude that Congress, in this law, actually meant to exempt the kind of behavior in which Aleynikov engaged" he said. " hope that Congress will return to the issue and state, in appropriate language, what I believe they meant to make criminal in the EEA."

Strait from the article.

[citation][nom]joe44994422[/nom]Completely redicilous. While source code may not be a "phsyical object" you certainly can "own" source code. If you cannot own source code then authors of songs or books cannot "own" those either. I can write my source code into a book if I really wanted too and it would "exist" just the same as a book manuscript or sheet music. I'm assuming the company at hand paid the guy to write this code for them. It belongs to them and he had no reason to make a backup copy of it wether he "used" it or not. Can I copy a DVD if I promise not to watch it?The guy made unauthorized backups of material that he did not own. That is no different the downloading a song or a movie wether you "use" or "sell" them. The fact that nothing is "missing" from the Bank does not mean that something wasn't "taken". The best argument that can be made is that he does not have a liscense to use the code in any way. The code, if copyrighted, is protected from unauthorized replication by others without the consent of the copyright owner. He has no practicle use for the code in any way and has no reason to have a copy of it. These things need to be thought of more in the lines of "liscensing" then by actual physical property theft. If I prepare a demonstraiton and charge people to see it, anyone who watches without paying is "stealing" the work I have done. People do not "have" to watch my demonstraiton, they do not need to agree about the cost and can only watch if they want too.If I am hired to write programs for a comany, then the company "owns" that work. No differently then if I hire a contractor to build an addition onto my house. That addition belongs to me and NOT the contractor. No one can "take" my addition without asking. If it were possible to even copyright the layout of an addition (it might be?) then no one could legally build the same addition that I have.People need to stop being so linear in their thinking and realize that virtual theft is theft all the same as phsyical theft.[/citation]

The problem is partially that the code was not copyrighted.

[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]You're analogy is awful. You are comparing something not copyrighted, nor trademarked, to something that is.A more proper analogy would be an engineer at Ford coming up with an idea for a new car, being paid by Ford for that idea, and then taking it to GM and letting them build it. That is most certainly theft.This person admits he took proprietary information, the definition of proprietary meaning it belonged to the company. Just because he hadn't sold it (yet?) does not make it not theft.[/citation]

Ford has the intent to use the idea to make a product that they would sell. GS did not, so it was not protected as commercial property. Your analogy also fails. The laws need to be rewritten.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]zingam_duo[/nom]My typings here are my intellectual property. If you read them you have stolen them. Now I'm gonna sue you into the stone ages![/citation]
Actually if I copy them it is theft, hang on i just did copy them
Tell ya what, if you can find me i'll give you the money myself - good luck with that

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Hey, stop whining, Bitches! This guy is making more money in a year than all of you would in your whole miserable life. He convinced the judges that he is innocent and he obviously is innocent! He must be a smart guy if he gets a 1.2 million salary and he must know very well what he is doing.
Stop inventing laws! It might not be moral what he has done but it is not illegal and you cannot convert all morals to laws, etc. Be careful what you wish because you know according to some cultures when you take a picture of somebody, you are stealing his soul, which makes you the worst kind of offender! Or maybe next time when you go in front of somebody on the beach he might sue you because you have stolen sunlight from him!
So stop inventing laws! The world sucks because there are way too much laws. Lawyers produce nothing but make the most money, just because there are so many stupid people!

Goldensachs fucked up and that's their problem! Anyway they don't deserve any sympathies and you know very well why.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
BTW, developers, what do you want. Do you want that your current employer is able to copyright your mind and if he fires you that you are not allowed to work as a software developer until pension because you might have a copyrighted idea in your head that you might pass to the competition?

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
People, read the damn article before commenting. This ruling has nothing to do with intellectual property "rights". It has to do with whether the guy broke a specific law dealing with interstate commerce, which he was originally convicted under. It's pretty apparent that he did not, in fact, break that law. That's the whole and only point of the whole thing.

Also, interpreting laws (when a law is, in whole or in part, open to interpretation) is, in fact, the domain of the judicial system, contrary to what some posters have stated. They are not limited to simply declaring a law unconstitutional or not. Although, those people should actually be happy: in this case, the judges *refused* to reinterpret the law to encompass new concepts that the law was not originally written to address and instead went by the letter of that law.

Reading comprehension is at an all-time low in these comments.

sirencall

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]Does not matter when it was come up with. It came up to protect people's ideas so that people can feel safe and protected to come up with new ideas. If people feel like they have no protection over an idea, we stop progressing as society.[citation]What is wrong here is that, in both cases, the student and the employee have broken an agreement, they have broken their contract.So yes, the student should be expelled and the employee fired. If you want to protect an idea, you make it a secret.If this secret is revealed then you have to blame the person who broke his contract or used fraud to acquire it. Not the guy who did not enter in any agreement whatsoever and who only uses an idea that is now known to all. [/citation]Except as an employee he DID enter into an agreement. All business where you are paid for a work, that works belongs to your employer. He even admits he took proprietary files, merely claiming it was accidental. Sorry, if it was truly accidental, he is seriously incompetent.[citation]No the main problem is that like everybody who defends the IP fraud, you do not understand what property is, and moreover why the idea of ownership arose long before governments even existed.The thing is that you make no difference between what is scarce (a bike) and what is not (an idea).Things that are scarce can not be used by everybody at the same time (a bike) or can only be used/consumed a couple of times or only once (an apple).Of course it is easy to imagine two individuals fighting over who is going to ride the bike or who is gonna eat the apple.So in order to avoid conflicts, smart individuals came up with an idea. They came up with the idea that the one who should have the right to choose what to do with the bike or the apple, the owner, should be the one who transform those scarce resources around him and uses his intellect and energy to create that bike, or the one who first found the apple tree or who planted the apple tree in order to be able to consume its fruits.But how on earth can someone be the owner of a food recipe, a music tune or a story ? Just because government says so ?- Why should government forbid me to use my own property to make a chocolate cake now that the recipe is known to all ? What crime would I be making ? Who would be the victim ?- And those artists who whine all the time about their music "being stolen" don't even realize that they themselves are using ideas from other/past musicians.- And should I be able to sue Lady Gaga because the air waves created by the speakers of my neighbor are reaching my ears and I don't like it ? I should be if those sound waves are somehow her property.- And do you think Shakespeare should have been sent to jail ? After all even if he wrote some master pieces, he used the characters names and stories of other authors..[/citation]All you are doing is making excuses why you can use someone else's work. You are a thief and I would never employ you because you would think that even though I paid you to do a job, you could take the results and do with as you wished. If enough people think the way you do everything ends.Look at pharmaceutical companies. Back during the Anthrax scares the Canadian government allowed their phamaceutical companies to violate someone else's patents. They stole nothing physical, merely the ideas. But the company who held the patents has spend hundreds of millions of dollars in research over many years to come up with it. As a result, they didn't make back their money. This provides incentives for pharmaceutical companies NOT to research new drugs. Why should they if their ideas are not protected and they can't make back what they invested and time to make a profit so it's worth their while?And your analogies are so ridiculous as to be laughable. They aren't even direct anaolgies. But the cake recipe anaology does bring up an interesting point. Look at KFC, their secret recipe is trademarked and held under tight security. If someone were to get it and distribute it, one would hope the person would be thrown in jail.[/citation]

Here is why my analogy is accurate, he did not take an idea but the code itself. If he took the idea of how they did things, than you would be did on but he copied the actual code. Also by definition of our law he commited no theft, because he did not deprive the owner of the use of the code in any way. Things like this happen a lot and are not a legally punishable act. This is why contracts exist. Corporate espionage has been around for a while and as far as I know no one has been punished for it. You may claim an idea is property but it is not property that can be stolen by definition of the law. We have patents and copyrights, but it only protects things in a specific way. For example the assembly line was an idea Ford created but everyone uses freely. Another one would be tires, someone came up with the idea but every company is using it freely. Though we call taking someones idea theft, it is not theft by definition of law because you have to deprive someone of its use. Codes are much the same thing, in that I have to deprive you of its use. Since the codes were not being sold, they were not covered by the commerce act either which protects things like codes if they are being sold. This is why we have open source programs that everyone can use. If we did not, every person would have to get expressed permission for downloading something that is free. The thing to remember with codes, is that they dont really fit the legal definition of theft because he copied the file, he did not remove the files. So my analogy is very accurate because it is an exact copy, but I in no way deprived you of your vehicle.

G

2 beautiful woman Movie Directors www.SiriusNews.com/blog take on Good Ol' Boy Network on Wall St www.TheWallStreetConspiracy.com Kristina and Sandra www.StockShockmovie.com see their photos on the blog link above. 3 films that will expose Wall Street and the news media cover up of their Counterfeiting of Stocks. The evidence is all documented in their 3 movies.

Richard
SiriusNews

Status
Not open for further replies.