Judge Rules in Favor of Verizon's 3G Commercials

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]@datawreckerWhat happened man, where was that post supposed to go? Haha![/citation]

[citation][nom]pullmyfinger123[/nom]It's too bad such a long, thoughtful, and emotional comment was posted under the wrong story....[/citation]

Yea, where is the edit function when you need it.

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]AT&T just got PWNED![/citation]

one cannot be PWNED (*eyeroll* at the dorque) over something as trivial as this.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]tmike[/nom]one cannot be PWNED (*eyeroll* at the dorque) over something as trivial as this.[/citation]
The fact that it was trivial and a stupid thing to file an injunction over is what makes this a PWNED moment :)

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]michaelahess[/nom]AT&T doesn't provide service in my area, so the ads are completely accurate for me.[/citation]

Verizon's map shows that me and everywhere around my area gets 3G, that is totally inaccurate.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]tmike[/nom]one cannot be PWNED (*eyeroll* at the dorque) over something as trivial as this.[/citation]
You lie! :lol:

And PS: Yes, one can be PWNED in something like this :p

sidran32

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]So AT&T's "Fastest 3G network" isn't misleading, not to mention being absolutely false???[/citation]
PCWorld (if I recall correctly) tested the claims of each ad. Actually, AT&T does have the fastest 3G network. Verizon isn't contesting that, though. Verizon is showing that their 3G coverage is much better than AT&T's (which is also true). I tend to think that AT&T's 3G network is so fast because less people probably are using it at any given time due to its poor area of coverage.

roborabbit

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Looks like some corporate lawyers finally have something to do; all those corporate lawyers were probably pretty board after AMD & Intel's tiff got settled and now they have something new to fixate on.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
[citation][nom]sidran32[/nom]PCWorld (if I recall correctly) tested the claims of each ad. Actually, AT&T does have the fastest 3G network. Verizon isn't contesting that, though. Verizon is showing that their 3G coverage is much better than AT&T's (which is also true). I tend to think that AT&T's 3G network is so fast because less people probably are using it at any given time due to its poor area of coverage.[/citation]

Right... The only reason Verizon has brought down the hammer hard on their advertising against ATT is because they have lost lots of business to them because of the iPhone, why else would they up their termination fee unless they are having trouble keeping people. Im not defending ATT I am just stating the obvious, ATT had no ground to stand on this argument. Verizon is kicking themselves in the ass for not originally taking the iPhone.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Interesting how this got a judge ruling FAST while others are set aside to wait weeks and months before their day in court.

phexac

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
ATT in general seems to lag in technology. On the internet side, they provide DSL when everyone else has cable or fiber. For TV, they use Dish Network, which often prevents you from being able to watch On Demand stuff. They have 1/5 of 3G coverage of Verizon. They are behind on every front technologically. It's like they do the bare minimum they can get away with. I started using Singular for cell phone before ATT bought them because they had rollover minutes. Now my mom and my gf have the iPhone.

This argument was pretty ridiculous. I am glad it went they way it did. It's long past time ATT started providing competitive service.

mediv42

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
If at&t has any smart lawyers, (and I'm pretty sure they do) I dont think they expected a favorable ruling on this - doesnt seem like the argument has a leg to stand on. My guess is they calculated it would cost verizon more legal fees to fight it than it would cost them to bring it.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]Glorian[/nom]Right... The only reason Verizon has brought down the hammer hard on their advertising against ATT is because they have lost lots of business to them because of the iPhone, why else would they up their termination fee unless they are having trouble keeping people. Im not defending ATT I am just stating the obvious, ATT had no ground to stand on this argument. Verizon is kicking themselves in the ass for not originally taking the iPhone.[/citation]

I doubt they are kicking them selves. the iphone isnt that great. Sure stupid people buy stupid things because apple says its good even though it was done long before apple ruined it and jacked the price up 5x and put it in a crappy plastic package with a battery i cant change and apps i cant load cuz apple says no.. seriously its garbage.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]I doubt they are kicking them selves. the iphone isnt that great. Sure stupid people buy stupid things because apple says its good even though it was done long before apple ruined it and jacked the price up 5x and put it in a crappy plastic package with a battery i cant change and apps i cant load cuz apple says no.. seriously its garbage.[/citation]
How about all those people who have never owned an Apple product before buying the iPhone like me? People who actually do reaserach on every product we purchase. People who have owned a few other "competing" Windows mobile phones before purchasing an iPhone. You think we bought this phone because Apple said so? And you seem to think that buying the iPhone for $199 is a price that is "jacked up 5x", even still considering when I bought my phone over a year ago that any other phone that even comes close to the iPhone sells for even more money? I think you need to go back to kindergarten. That plastic cube with the shapes in it where you push through those other plastic pieces will help you improve your skills in logic. They are seriously lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.