Just built computer, what to download?!

wbloechel

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Hello! Well I just got all my parts from Newegg last night and put together my computer, and after 3 hours of fun I finally got her to post and she is rockin’! Only problem is I haven’t built a new computer since 2002 and have no idea what is good to put on it, as far as applications, and have no idea really how to really have Windows 7 perform to it's finest, so I am asking for help in that department!

Now obviously have been rummaging through posts and threads but now would like first hand advice, what exactly are the programs I should be grabbing to improve my new computer experience?!

First things I got were Microsoft security essentials (obviously), Firefox (I’ll play with Chrome and Opera later), and…umm…Steam, so I could get my free game that came with my GPU. I’m planning on grabbing Malwarebytes and possibly Winpatrol, but think beyond that I’m good in the security department. What, if any, are any other suggestions for me to get for entertainment/performance/anything reasons?? Heres my build:

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

XFX HD-587X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 136

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb

And the Antec 902 case, obviously also heatsink, keyboard,mouse,monitor,etc.

Anyways, I plan on mainly using this for gaming, etc, but I love just messing with settings and tweaking stuff and interacting with my desktop, what are some of the best applications to have? Thank you for your time!

wbloechel

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010

heh yeah I did Catalyst (sp?) 10.7 or w/e, thought about flashing my bios but really no need yet, waiting for my artic silver to harden before i o/c my proc anyways, and give my ram a chance to stretch thier legs. Havn't went and got any other drivers however, I figure Win7 is more the able to figure out a mouse, keyboard, dvd burner, and wireless adapter.

Kraze7

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Yea most of that will be find with just plug and play setting, but always double check if you can get a driver for them so that you don't run into any problem later.

Also check for the latest DX drivers since you'll be playing game on it mostly.

So about 200 Hours for that AS to cure huh?