Just cannot decide - Laptop for College Freshman

rubbateckie

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
1. No real budget, just want a solid deal for a solid laptop - less than 1000 is preferable but up to 1500 if the money is truly worth could be considered.

2. I would like 14 inches but 13.3 through 15.6 would be fine.

Weight is a bigger issue. I want something reasonably light so its not a pain dragging it to class and around school.

3. Of course I would prefer a high resolution (1920x1080), but with a lower screen size I would be willing to compromise to save on price.

4. As I said above, I want a portable - lightweight laptop.

5. I'd like at least 4 hours of good usage if not better. Closer to 6 would be ideal, but performance, build, and weight are bigger issues.

6. Guild Wars 2 will be a big one probably (on high settings of course), Team Fortress 2, some other stuff. More or less, if I can run some of the higher end games on medium settings over the next few years I would be more than happy.

7. I do light video and photo editing. (ie Basic work in gimp and freeware/open source video editing software) but I do a fair amount of video encoding so more cores haha.

8. Media and the like will probably be on an external or in the cloud. So hard drive space isn't a big deal. I would also be willing to upgrade hard drive space on my own later if it would be needed.

9. Amazon, Newegg, etc. Wherever gives the best deal.

10. I want it to be functional and effective for at least 4 years - college!

11. I'd be willing to buy an external for whatever I needed so not a big deal.

12. I know Asus and Lenovo are stars for build quality, but otherwise I am a little clueless (other than horror stories for recent HP products haha)

13. USA

14. Build quality, portability, and performance are the biggest keys for me. Style and the rest aren't much of an issue. I am thinking a quadcore i7 with a clock speed of around 2 ghz. My problem is finding laptops that have the quadcores, dedicated graphics and are light and portable. So hopefully you guys can help out.

zxmpro29

Honorable
May 16, 2012
Hey, I am using this laptop for a month now and I am really enjoying it! It is a 15.6' Matte 1080p screen, i7-3610QM 2.3Ghz - 3.3Ghz, GT 650M, 6GB RAM and more. It is the MSi GE60 that costs 1100$: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152339. There is availble GTX 660M graphics if you prefer it.

There is are many special features MSi put in such as automatic overclocking on the cpu and gpu, 4 THX certified speakers (they sound great and are LOUD :) ), MSi turbo boost button that revs the fans up to 100% (loud but keeps it cool), and a keyboard built by Steelseries.

The downside is the quality. Since the specs to price of this machine is really well, the build quality suffers a bit. This laptop uses a plastic shell but still feels study.

rubbateckie

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012

How is the size and weight? And thanks for the suggestion!

rubbateckie

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Well my list right now is the Vaio E 14in, Vaio S 15in, Asus N56, or the Dell Inspiron 15R Special Edition. They seem to be in my price range with solid quad cores, solid build, and decent portability. If anyone has any advice or other suggestions, everything is appreciated!