Justice Department Doc Reveals Facebook Lurking

Status
Not open for further replies.

idlerp

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
How is this an issue of privacy? You put the information on Facebook or MySpace knowing that other people can look at it if they are in your network. Just goes to show, if you don't want something known, don't put it on a computer. Besides if the Feds really wanted this information, they would simply get a warrant for it and force Facebook to give it to them.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
It is very very simple. If you want privacy do not post personal information all over the Internet. I 100% guarantee there is absolutely, positively no privacy on the world wide web. The net is an electonic version of an extremely large public place.

cruiseoveride

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
If you got something to hide, or you live a double life, split personality even? don't put stuff on facebook.

Otherwise, who cares? If Obama knows the name of my cat, great. He already knows where I live from my Tax returns. So if he's looking at my summer vacation photos, I don't care either.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]cruiseoveride[/nom]If you got something to hide, or you live a double life, split personality even? don't put stuff on facebook. Otherwise, who cares? If Obama knows the name of my cat, great. He already knows where I live from my Tax returns. So if he's looking at my summer vacation photos, I don't care either.[/citation]
If the Prime Minister of Canada was looking at my vacation photos, that'd actually be pretty cool. Or the Governor General, cause she's hot.

I like my ISP though, they don't ghive a damn about what I do. =D

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
it isnt about what you have to hide... the fact is we are humans :p and well there are a lot of ppl that are bad with a lot of power... who only crave for more power or $$$

this only brings more problems... think of the ppl who have nothing to do with anyone else on facebook that they might have added or blindly doing so... all of a sudden being a suspect in something they have absolutely nothing to do with

zipdrive

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2005
What a whine!
If you upload a photo, update status or so on on Facebook, AND you chose to share it with "friends of friends", why is anyone shocked that people tagged as such see the photo? How is that "not being entitled to privacy"? Is the government making people share those pictures?

Why is keeping things private from "the feds" different and merits more alarmed tones from keeping them private from criminals?

An agent opening a fake MySpace account is the same as an undercover agent. THAT raises the writer's ire?

This is just sensationalist writing.

G

If friends of friends can see your profile, then that is a flaw in the social networking site, not a problem with law enforcement. There should be an option to only show your profile to people you directly befriend. Otherwise any Tom, Dick, or Harry could end up viewing it eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS