Kansas OKs Google's Internet-Based TV Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobalert

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
[citation][nom]pedro_mann[/nom]So Jealous. I'm tired of Comcast's monopoly and failure to innovate in a timely manner.[/citation]
The same can be said about every other cable company nation wide. Even worse are those like me stuck with a Hole in the wall local provider, ATMC of Brunswick County, North Carolina is the 2nd worst provider in the entire world. I requested HBO Go, and they said yeah we carry HBO you don't have to go anywhere special to get it.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]noobalert[/nom]The same can be said about every other cable company nation wide. Even worse are those like me stuck with a Hole in the wall local provider, ATMC of Brunswick County, North Carolina is the 2nd worst provider in the entire world. I requested HBO Go, and they said yeah we carry HBO you don't have to go anywhere special to get it.[/citation]
LOL, dude, you need to put their answer on reddit or crack.com. Epic!

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]Price/Cost?Data Caps?[/citation]
I doubt there are any caps; they can't cap a TV service, nobody can, unless they don't want business.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]I doubt there are any caps; they can't cap a TV service, nobody can, unless they don't want business.[/citation]

But... will this then be a separate bill?
Feels like paying for internet twice! LOL

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
I really don't understand US model. But it seams it doesn't work. In developed countries there's a thing called competition which is good for the consumer. you can choose from dozens of companies and you have fibre, adsl and cable available everywhere, not to mention 4G services. With competition everyone wins. Usually what happens is that X company starts a new offer (more speed or Y service or less expensive) the others follow to avoid losing costumers, then another company does the same and so on. That's why bandwith caps and traffic shapping hurts the companies. I don't understand why kansas as to say OK to google to offer one more service. In my country every ISP has a triple play offer. Actually it's much more then triple, they offer a lot more services like mobile tv, 4G, free wifi networks, video on demand, and so on.

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
It's too bad about the USA, the telco/cable companies don't share resources... i.e. once AT&T has laid fiber somewhere, they won't rent it out to Verizon so they can have customers in the same area as well. Verizon, if they wanted to put services in the area, would have to lay all new fiber and some of the time there's no room for it since (in this example) AT&T's is already taking up the only room that was available for all that fiber.

Google, on the other hand, has gone in and laid all their own fiber and are offering it at the prices they want to offer it at, which are apparently quite competitive. Do other companies have the ability to do this? Yes! Will they pay for it? Heck, no.

geminireaper

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]nbelote[/nom]It's too bad about the USA, the telco/cable companies don't share resources... i.e. once AT&T has laid fiber somewhere, they won't rent it out to Verizon so they can have customers in the same area as well. Verizon, if they wanted to put services in the area, would have to lay all new fiber and some of the time there's no room for it since (in this example) AT&T's is already taking up the only room that was available for all that fiber.Google, on the other hand, has gone in and laid all their own fiber and are offering it at the prices they want to offer it at, which are apparently quite competitive. Do other companies have the ability to do this? Yes! Will they pay for it? Heck, no.[/citation]

Actually Verizon Lays there own fiber cable also. Verizon FioS.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
i love the idea of a dvr but for everything, you know... kind of like NETFLIX, sadly they will fight to the bitter end to stop this from happening... i hate the world i live in.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
and a few short years ago, I thought Verizon FiOS was cool. Now Verizon is behind. Then again, they STILL give their FiOS customers 802.11g routers. For most users, that's probably OK, but for those that are savvy, that doesn't cut the mustard to stream HD movies.

Verizon seems to get the best phones last, as well. I think I'm understanding why, now...competition from Google.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
I too hate that cable companies "own" their own cable lines but if they were community lines, who would foot the bill to expand to certain areas? Cable Company A may have 10 customers out in a new development while Company B has none, so they would be opposed to expanding to this neighborhood while the exact opposite scenario is happening in another part of town. It makes sense these companies can own their own lines but then why not lease them to competition, especially if there is overhead bandwidth, that would mean those lines are being used more to their potential and although the end clients arent theirs, they are getting some kickbacks from the other provider which is better than nothing.

pooflinger1

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
[citation][nom]nbelote[/nom]It's too bad about the USA, the telco/cable companies don't share resources... i.e. once AT&T has laid fiber somewhere, they won't rent it out to Verizon so they can have customers in the same area as well. Verizon, if they wanted to put services in the area, would have to lay all new fiber and some of the time there's no room for it since (in this example) AT&T's is already taking up the only room that was available for all that fiber.Google, on the other hand, has gone in and laid all their own fiber and are offering it at the prices they want to offer it at, which are apparently quite competitive. Do other companies have the ability to do this? Yes! Will they pay for it? Heck, no.[/citation]

pooflinger1

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Bah, stupid editor... This was supposed to go with my previous comment.

That's not accurate at all. I work for a very large ISP and we lease some of our fiber to competing companies and also lease some of ours to them. In fact, when a large provider came through to provide 4G cellular service for our area, they did not lay a single piece of fiber. They leased it from us. Fact is that alot of the time companies can not lay their own cable even if they want to. We have to get permits from the state and local municipalities. Often times they limit how many cables are allowed to be burried in a certain area which once it gets to capacity (regardless of who owns the cable), they will not allow any others to be burried in that area. There is also the cost of laying that cable which can be very expensive to do. Landowner permission, natural obstructions, roads, rivers, etc. are all obstacles that have to be taken into account when laying new lines.

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
I tried to order an extra DVR from ATT Uverse 3 times in 1 month:
1st time the guy showed up with a DSL modem.
2nd time they lost my order.
3rd time they showed up at my door without first confirming the appointment, hence I wasn't there...
At my location I can only choose between ATT and TimeWarner. I was thinking of switching, but my neighbor tells me TW is even worse than ATT...

G

svdb - With Uverse only one DVR is utilized. All other units in the house are STBs, not DVRs. Every STB can view the recordings on the DVR. The STBs can also schedule/delete recordings and has "trick play" functionality, i.e. pause/rewind live tv.

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
@just saying - yes I know, sorry that I used the wrong term. Nevertheless, what does it take to get ATT to honor my order??... Do I need to bribe someone? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.