Kaspersky vs Bitdefender

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdd1963

Distinguished
Whichever group of random URLs and pieces of malware are compared this week, the comparative results could easily flip-flop in favor of the other the following week...

MBAM, Hitman Pro seem to be the de-facto standards of detecting actual infections, but, as to which program might be best in the long haul at 'preventing' them, tough call....; either way, there are numerous high-quality second, third opinion scans (I've tinkered with about 30-40, truthfully, literally from A with Avast to Z with Zilllya!) that can be downloaded and/or performed online for free....; if you get tired of trusting those, then there are numerous Linux or WinPE based rescue/bootable/offline scanners to be played with as well....

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
if you're picking between Kaspersky and Bitdefender, I'd go with Bitdefender. Kaspersky seems to be much more paranoid, and BD has consistently come out ahead of Kaspersky with the majority of the independent reviews I've seen.

If you really don't care which one you get, just see which one goes on sale for the best price in the next month or so. Either one should work fine for you.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Well, if the OP doesn't really have a preference, or is happy with either Kaspersky or Bitdefender, I think Blackbird has an answer...

EDIT: You can also get Bitdefender's AV software for free... so take that with a grain of salt. While paying for BD's suite will yield a more comparable experience to the paid Kaspersky AV software, BD's free AV will do just fine. Still, for $5, I'd say it's worth a shot.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
The thing you have to remember is that more people feel the need to complain on the internet, over the number of people who feel the need to praise on the internet. A high number of complaints does mean a lot of unsatisfied customers; however, the actual complaints, how the situation was handled, and so on, are all up for debate. Why? Simply put, a person who reads a complaint, but has has nothing to gauge it by (other than the review/post), will either believe it without though, or want to see more evidence that the complaint is valid. Almost every well established company you can think of has been labelled as some sort of "scam" or has done something to yield a long list of complaints, regardless of how top notch their service is. Of the ones who stay in "good ratings," a large number of them will simply bend over at the waist for customers to simply avoid official complaints.

To the OP- either buy a product for it's effectiveness, or buy it for customer satisfaction. Kaspersky is definitely one that is much more paranoid about various things, and seems to "flag" a fair number of webpages that are actually harmless. Will that affect you? I can't tell ya.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
If ad prevention is a desire, there's always some great free options, and will probably be much more reliable than a security suite would be.

Personally, I'd recommend Aviator or Iron for the browser, and tack on the free AdGuard extension (enabling as much of the filters as preferred).

DaCrazyCageMan

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
I used bitdefender a few months ago but I believe that my free trial ended, I wanted to scan my pc the other day so I used Kaspersky, it removed 3 files for me as I believed that malware had gotten through. However, and someone can correct me if I wrong, I believe that kaspersky isn't optimal for blocking malware.
The way I see it though, if you have time and think you have malware why not use both, that way even the sneakiest malware can't hide.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

Yeah.... about that logic...

The problem with using an AV as protection for malware is that AVs are not designed for blocking malware. AV software is designed to block/detect viruses; viruses are written differently from malware, and throw flags in different ways. While one might be better at detecting malware, it's pretty pointless to use two pieces of software that are designed for virus detection for malware detection; it's just not going to be very effective, even if they catch something.

There's also the simple fact that there was study published (recently) that pointed out the majority of malware infections at major companies went undetected by their anti-malware software. Not to mention, the likelihood of your AV/AM software actually catching everything is not in the user's favour. When there is one infection found, there's most likely another one that that wasn't found.

Just saying...

hamicuia

Estimable
Feb 7, 2015

Seeing that graph, to me Bitdefender and Kaspersky are still better than Trend Micro. Trend Micro has a score 0.3% higher than the other two, but has 9 false positives, while the other two has 0.

Welsh Dragon

Estimable
Feb 19, 2015
Hi, I've used Kaspersky on a number of devices for the last 3 years and I have never really noticed it being in the background and doinf it's stuff. It has done it's job by blocking malware etc.

In December, Kaspersky license ran out and a friend recommended BitDefender, as they had a free trial offer for 12 months. So, after doing a bit of research, I came to the conclusion that it must be as good or even better thasn Kaspersky based on the reviews.

How wrong was I? Bitdefender has constantly been a pain, you always know it's there, and it's slowed down my computer (not just mine, I installed it on 3 laptops as well!) to the extent of being really annoying (and I have Dell Alienware with a 6 core processor).

Everytime you open explorer to see files, it's takes forever before the files are shown as it's scanning them. When you open the internet browser you get these busy icons on the goggle serach page while it scans the links.

I am now removing Bitdefender (even though it's free) and paying £100 for 10 devices over 2 years for Kaspersky. It will be worth every penny.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

Sounds like you're having some issues that either Kaspersky didn't resolve, and BD is trying to, or you didn't remove Kaspersky properly, and now BD is actually trying to work through the crap the is left over from the Kaspersky install.

If you don't remove your original AV software properly, then you're going to run into problems with every AV software you install after it. Whatever the case is, something needs to be addressed on yoru computer. That isn't a common problem with BD, unless there is a preexisting issue.

budriste

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015

y-gh

Estimable
Apr 23, 2015
I use vpn all the time regularly using kerio , bitdefender firewall won't work while connecting through kerio I think bitdefender has problem with other type of vpns too

I adds network in the firewall list and select untrusted but it doesn't work I know that because kmplayer's pup up

switched to kaspersky and I'm totally happy

y-gh

Estimable
Apr 23, 2015

I mean kerio software "kerio vpn client" when I connect through kerio my firewall doesn't work but as I remember it worked for cisco anyconnect but not kerio and probably there are other type of vpns that bittdefener doesn't work with

I'm not sure but I think I had the same problem with open vpn as well but I'm sure it doesn't work with kerio

Status
Not open for further replies.