Kayak Threatens MSFT's Bing With Legal Action

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]crockdaddy[/nom]I love it when people say Company X only copied someone Else's crap. Well duh! ALL companies do this, especially large plodding companies. Why do you think Cisco, Oracle, IBM, GOOGLE, Microsoft, all buy up small companies all the time. For the freaks that keep saying well, Apple is a real innovator ... whatever kool aid drinker. Apple took someone Else's idea and sold/produced it better too. Besides ... first to market rarely wins the race. Plenty of companies had MP3 players to market before Apple ... how did that workout for them???[/citation]

Apple stole the mouse and GUI, then tried to sue MS for developing a GUI that could interact with a mouse. Xerox originally created BOTH . Sony stole the idea for a gaming console from Sega, as did Nintendo and MS. Sega also produced the first coin operated arcade machine...which Nintendo also stole, as did Atari. The tech industry is nothing but 1 company stealing an idea from another company. That's how it is, and has always been. Hell, Apple stole the idea to create a computer from IBM. If it wasn't for companies stealing ideas from each other....IBM would have been the only company producing computers until charged as a monopoly and broken up like AT&T/Bell Labs was.

st430

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
Kayak?? who is that? from what I can tell, Kayak is stealing code very much from expedia.com and hotel.com because it look so familiar.
Come on, it's flights, it's all the same info.....
pretty much a remake of the CRT page your travel agents use to use to book your flight.
there is no legal rights to layout of websites.

st430

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
author..please also post site page of expedia.com and hotel.com
and travelocity.com....
I used them all and they all look super similair.(even same prices)

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
A gui interface on the left and the prices and info on the right wow else would have thought of that for a shopping lay out =p. I'm pretty sure that's how all shopping/search websites work with minor structural differences between them. Imo bing's interface looks cleaner.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Taking something else, making it better, and claming it was all their own.
That's just what Microsoft does.

They made a better looking layout that's very similar, and they claim it as their own.

Nothing new here, move along.

G

only content can be copyrighted (data that can be printed), not ideas, methods, or systems - what kayak should have done is tried to patent their 'system'. Systems cannot be copyrighted. This is a patent case, not copyright. If they have no patent, they are DOA.

redraider89

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
I haven't seen this view posted, but alot of these travel sites and other kind of sites as well, are owned by the same company that gets a few domain names and basically scatters them on the web, all doing close to the same thing. So that causes alot of different websites to look the same because they are from the same company who designed them all.

I thought of this because there are alot of websites that look the same and I wondered why there hasn't been a huge sue fest until now when Kayak decided to sue MS. I guess either alot of the sites that look similar are owned by the same company or they figure the other sites are too small to sue, but when it comes to MS, they are a gold mine to be taken by law suit.

I have used Kayak just recently through Asia.com, a site that scans all the sites like Kayak, Expedia, Travelocity, Cheaptickets, etc and you'd be surprised how many of those sites from the search results at Asia.com look the same.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
How stupid, as mentioned you can't copyright a general look and feel. Wow - how many sites have top nav bar and left nav bar with light shaded grey? Give me a break. MS is such a target of gold-diggers. I hope they counter-sue and make Kayak spend a lot of $$ just on court costs...MS shoudln't even care if they lose or not, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS