Ken Londoner is disturbed with the Lenovo Y570, dropping dead on some games

kenlondoner

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016
Hi,
I have a Lenovo Y570 laptop and it crashes when I start playing some games. Most specifically, I have a problem when I want to play Counter Strike via Steam. In the middle of the game, the screen turns black and the laptop simply turns off instantly.

Let me give you a little more information over the whole situation:
Here are the specifications:
Intel i5-2410M @2.30GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M @1GB VRAM
4 GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
750GB SSH Disk @5200RPM
Windows 7 64bit

Now, until recently - it hadn't been cleaned properly. I bought it while my last visit in the US, 2-3 years ago. It used to work properly only for a short time. It all started a year after I bought it, and I used to believe that it was due to the cooling. It used to heat up a lot, the fan was loud ... you get the point. Recently, I saw a few videos on YouTube and decided to give it a go. I have successfully broken it apart and cleaned it gently, gave it a gram of thermal-grease (purchased a fairly cheap silver grease with a syringe from Cooler Master) both on the CPU and the GPU and have assembled it again. It now works noticeably cooler and the fan is not running every second - therefore it is silent.
For a test drive, I installed a non-steam version of Counter Strike. It ran perfectly!
I have tried giving it a go once more, installed Counter Strike via Steam and there it was once again - crashing like I had done nothing. The laptop was cool, the dedicated GPU was on... everything was supposedly perfect and it was supposed to work.

So, I reinstalled the drivers, updated them to the latest versions, subsequently installed several antiviruses like Avast, AVG and gave them a full scan... but they haven't found any virus, or malware.

I've tried removing the battery, and relying only on the power... but that didn't work.

The thing is, the game is terribly slow on the integrated GPU from Intel, and naturally I want to use my dedicated one... That is like having a Ford and a Lamborghini and not driving the Lambo because it breaks down every half a mile... Hope you understood what I meant!

I've read somewhere on the internet that this is a fairly common problem among the Y570.

Can you please give me some advice, as I am currently desperate for new ideas.

Thanks in advance
Ken Londoner

Hi,

Have you tried doing a clean install of the graphics card driver?
- First is to uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver from Device Manager.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to Nvidia.
- Once done, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
- Reboot the laptop once the driver has been installed.
- After the reboot do test it again and see if the same problem will persist or not.

kenlondoner

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016

Yes, as you can see in my original post:

That said, I reinstalled the original driver that came along in the DVD with the laptop, and installed the latest one from nVidia.

But, I see no harm in doing it again, so as you say, I will do my best to delete it completely and install it once again as soon as I can...

Regards

kenlondoner

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016

I've tried what you've said, now I have a different kind of problem.

When I do all the gaming and stuff, the laptops starts shutting down in an entirely new and unexpected way...
Namely, The power light starts blinking at first, and then the whole system throttles, skipping framerates ... like the configuration is from 2003. Then the display goes dim, but I can still hear the cooling system running and then it shuts down completely. It is basically like going into normal shutting down, after a long run of something that used up all the hardware.
What do you say to that?

kenlondoner

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016
As I see nobody else has a suggestion for me. Maybe somebody else has this laptop here on this forum?

I've been doing a little research on the internet and as it turns out there are many users with my laptop experiencing the same issue. Although none of them have solved this problem 100%, maybe somebody could give me a partial solution?

Thanks in advance
Kenneth Londoner