Well, one, rice doesn't work. Really. Two, depending on how much water is spilled on the device, you would need to leave it open and drying for 2 to 7+ days. Yes, I do mean days.
Once a liquid gets inside, it takes a really long time for it to dry up/out. Plus, any parts that are not opened up, exposed to air, will take even longer to dry out/up. Plus you need to be sure that the battery is removed while letting it dry. Liquid + Battery = very bad.
It sounds like you didn't leave it near long enough to dry and now it is showing that there is liquid still in it. Hence the keyboard acting odd. If you don't let it dry well enough, you could fry parts as well.