Keyboard Key Firing Constantly

Munvyrm

Estimable
May 20, 2015
So my Dad managed to spill part of a protein drink on his fairly new laptop, because reasons, and while it does not appear to have caused the laptop to stop functioning the " + " symbol keeps appearing over and over in any text field currently highlighted. Just randomly, such a+s if I we+re+ to type +this s+ent+ence wit+h this+ happening it might look something like that. And if I were to pause and not type anything it would fill up like ++++++++++++++++++ .

My Dad's laptop has an actual keypad on the side, not an integrated one like mine, so I imagine it is a problem with the actual + key causing this. I tried holding it down myself to see if it would stop afterwards to no avail. Hitting the numlock key does not appear to stop the keypad from functioning either and it keeps happening. I even tried function numlock for the hell of it to no avail.

We have not tried cleaning the keyboard yet. The keys however appear to be embedded in the laptop on this model an HP-D068CA I think, and I do not think it is a simple matter of trying to pop one off to look at what is going on underneath. I was hoping to get some advice on how to proceed before we try to disassemble the laptop (which none of us have ever done to any laptop) to get at the problem key.

My Dad is already talking about buying a new laptop because he has things he needs to do it for and I would really prefer for him not to have to take that route. Disabling the keyboard entirely and using an external one is not an option because he uses the touchpad exclusively and not a mouse, which causes me no end of consternation itself.

In any case, I would much appreciate any advice that could be given here.