Keyboard not working periodically

misnger

Estimable
Oct 2, 2015
Hello,
I was hoping someone could help me. I have a Toshiba Satellite A505 Laptop & a few months ago out of nowhere my keyboard just stopped working - I called my niece & she suggested to hold the power button down & reboot it, so I did & it worked the keyboard went back to normal but how do I solve the problem so it stops it from happening again? For the last few weeks I've just been rebooting the computer & luckily I haven't lost anything important.
Well as you can imagine I'm getting tired of it happening to begin with, let alone I do a lot of business stuff & I can't afford for it to happen especially when I can't save my work.
Please keep in mind I am NOT a computer wiz & I'd greatly appreciate & need very detailed directions if you are going to help me to solve this problem. I will copy & print your directions / instruction, so please be as specific as possible, almost like your telling your parents what buttons to push, LOL I know it sounds bad but this stuff is so confusing for me!! Thank You Very Much in advance!!

Hi,

First try to uninstall/reinstall the driver of the keyboard.
- Press Start and right click on Computer and select Properties.
- Once open select Device Manager on the left hand pane of the screen.
- In Device Manager look for Keyboard and expand it.
- Right click onto the driver of the Keyboard and select Uninstall then reboot your laptop
- Once rebooted please do try and observe the Keyboard again.
- If these troubleshooting steps didn't work please do run a Windows Update and see if there any important updates that needs to be installed.
- Go to Control Panel and open Windows Update then click on Check for Updates and install all important ones.

misnger

Estimable
Oct 2, 2015
Hi,
Thanks very much for your response - I will give it a whirl & see what happens.
I was wondering - Do you have any other suggestions if it doesn't work? & Why do you think this started happening out of nowhere?? Could it be a virus of some sort? Or just a computer hiccup?