Keyboard not working when installing windows 7

Vijaynordic1990

Estimable
Dec 17, 2015
I am trying to re-install windows. I tried from the recovery partition and the keyboard stopped working. I tried a windows 7 bootable USB. Everything goes well. But after installed I need to enter computer name. Keyboard is not working. Already tried with USB external keyboard also. No response. Only num lock & caps lock buttons are working. What to do???

My laptop is Dell Vostro

Solution
Have you tried plugging the keyboard into USB 2.0 not 3.0? Sometimes the drivers may not of been installed so the keyboard may not work off the bat. Try having the keyboard plugged in from the beginning of the boot, or reboot through the power button when you get to that screen and the keyboard isn't working. Try every USB port

Another idea may be going into the bios and changing a setting in the USB area from 'partial initialisation' to full initialisation. Or perhaps even "EHCI Hand-off" to Enabled if you don't have the previous setting

Hope this helps

harryoui

Estimable
Jun 25, 2015
Have you tried plugging the keyboard into USB 2.0 not 3.0? Sometimes the drivers may not of been installed so the keyboard may not work off the bat. Try having the keyboard plugged in from the beginning of the boot, or reboot through the power button when you get to that screen and the keyboard isn't working. Try every USB port

Another idea may be going into the bios and changing a setting in the USB area from 'partial initialisation' to full initialisation. Or perhaps even "EHCI Hand-off" to Enabled if you don't have the previous setting

Hope this helps

Solution